Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Brewhome 2021

Default February 2021 Challenge: Brewhome 2021

Back in April of 2010, we had the Brewhome Challenge. It was a lot of fun as both a participant and as an observer of the other entries. It also happens to be one of the terribly few challenge maps I've managed to complete by the deadline and my best performing challenge map to date.

Now, back in those days, all I had was a dial-up internet connection, so my maps had to be on the smaller side to avoid timing out during the uploads. I don't have that problem these days, so this will be a bigger and hopefully better version of the original. I plan to maintain the perspective/projection style from the original while introducing a greater level of detail and, if time permits, some color.

Original

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brewhome - Final WIP.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	128214
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

And now for the first WIP.

Rebuilt the graticule for this and roughed in the general shorelines. Had to shift a few things to get them fitting a little better. Next step is to start adding in terrain features and detailing the coastal areas. Will probably add in some smaller islands along the way.

Anywho...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Feb 2021 WIP 001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	451.6 KB 
ID:	128215
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

I remember seeing this before, and the original is a good map. Looking forward to seeing where you go with the new version. I just love the idea of a world map dedicated to breweries!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Some mountains, a few rivers, and a bit of a better feel for how I want to move forward with this. I'm not 100% into the grove just yet, but feeling it a bit stronger this time round than I did last month.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Feb 2021 WIP 002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	502.9 KB 
ID:	128226

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on the original, CP, but why did you have to go and remind me that I'm getting older today?
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 02-06-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    GW

Okay, made some progress, but....

Something was feeling a bit off earlier, and I realized that it was the mountains. I know at this scale, the size of the features isn't a true representation of actual size, but some of my mountains were getting to be the size of small countries and didn't feel like they were conveying the size of the area depicted. So a slight reboot.

Been focusing on the northern continent at the edge. Mountains are, I think, done for that area as are most of the rivers and lakes. Still need to get some forests/grasslands in there, but, on the whole, feeling pretty good about the progress so far.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Feb 2021 WIP 003.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	128259
    GW

There's a lot of promise with this one. I'm glad you reeled back on the size of the mountains, what you've got done now looks good.

IR

Yay! Snowpocalyps! Have two employees that can't make it in to work today or tomorrow so I get to work 12 hour shifts instead of spending my weekend working on this. Gonna make it tough to get it finished in time. Still try, but its gonna be a bear.
    GW

So I've been without power at home for 10 days now, so, obviously, no way to work on this. Best estimate is either Thursday or Friday, which would only leave me like two days to catch up on 10 days worth of work. Not likely to happen unless I give up that whole sleeping thing.
    GW

It's really a shame to hear about your power situation. This perspective you had going here is a cool idea and I hope you get to finish it even if you might not get it done in time.