Thread: Daily Bookmarks Series 1

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Map Daily Bookmarks Series 1

Over the past week I challenged myself to draw one book mark a day after work, every day for a week. I ended up stopping at 6 because they fit nicely on a side of A4 and I thought I would post the finished set here. Working on a smaller scale like this really pushed me to think about how I was using the space but also gave me the freedom to experiment with new features/ideas that I might not have attempted for a while in a larger map.

I learnt a lot and I could feel myself improving throughout the week (although I'm still pretty new to this so I imagine, with so much still to learn, it'll feel like that for a while haha). I would definitely recommend others giving bookmarks a go as a fun side project or to get the inspiration flowing, it certainly sparked off lots of ideas for me.

I had a lot of fun and any thoughts and pointers are always appreciated

Each hand-drawn, roughed out in pencil and then inked with some pigment fineliners; each one measures 5.5"x2.5" (so they're pretty small).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark Series 1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	128261

1. The Cloud Coast
    2. The Hallowed Lands
    3. Aern in the 5th Era
    4. The Sunsplinter Isles
    5. South of the Freewater
    6. The Strait and Narrow

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Bookmarks are always my favored method for testing new styles. As you said, they do not require as much commitment as a full sized map. These ones look really great. The compass lines in the bottom right one is a really good idea for the book marks as well. When doing open sea ones I always have problems with it looking a bit too empty. Really nice!

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Bookmarks are always my favored method for testing new styles. As you said, they do not require as much commitment as a full sized map. These ones look really great. The compass lines in the bottom right one is a really good idea for the book marks as well. When doing open sea ones I always have problems with it looking a bit too empty. Really nice!
    Thanks! And I know what you mean about 'empty' seas. I have yet to find a way of doing them that I'm fully satisfied with, but it's also something that a little touch of colour might well sort too. Glad you liked them

You did a great job with these. It's great to see the set. They look fab.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Excellent project, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    You did a great job with these. It's great to see the set. They look fab.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    Excellent project, well done.
    Thank you both! It was a lot of fun and I'll definitely be doing more in the future

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

South of the Freewater is my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    South of the Freewater is my favorite
    Thanks I think I'm going to have a go at a larger map in that more illustrative/storybook style, it was a lot of fun.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Very good job! They look perfect for bookmarks!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Love all those pretty frames! Great job!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie