Thread: Bamboo Forests

Default Bamboo Forests

How do I symbolize bamboo forests on a map, like a would symbolize a desert with lots of dots?

I think the best I have seen so far is from a map by Ilanthar. He did some and they looked very cool.
    Let me see if I can find it... there. Found it.
    Batikshal Empire - https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36945
    Lots of good things in there. and here's the wip thread for how it became that cool
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36513

Well, I'll bet you won't like this solution. But I needed a topdown photo-real bamboo tree for a map I did years ago, and found a photo of a bamboo plant, and it's leaf layout made it perfect to cut out the cane itself and just do the leaves. So this is my top down bamboo plant, which is literally a bamboo plant, but also looks great as top down...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bamboo-top-down.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	880.0 KB 
ID:	128279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone-turtle-temple-compressed.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	9.38 MB 
ID:	128280
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The top is kind of floofy similar to palms and then you capture the 'bamboo' bits in clearings and along the edges. If you want it strictly top-down it's probably going to be like a palm cluster but instead of covering the whole top of it in greenery, you might put little circles inside of it and show the leaves connecting to the tubes to imply the trunk and then throw in an occasional tilted bamboo that shows the shape of it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Bamboo forests are kind of tricky since they tend to have a lot of leaves. BUT, I did take a crack at them a few years ago. So for a side on take on them>

Bamboo free Asset

Here is the map where I used the Bamboo trees, if you want to see it in action. The Whispering Path
    Last edited by XCali; 02-09-2021 at 05:55 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19