Thread: I have a question!

Default I have a question!

Hi guys, I have a question that I was hoping someone here might have the answer for, and if so, it would be highly appreciated if you could respond !

What is the specific term for a icon or drawing on a map in the shape of a creature (like a dragon or a kraken) that was put onto old maps to tell sailors that they were sailing into unknown waters? Is there even a specific term for that?

It was brought to my attention by a colleague of mine and I've been wondering ever since.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Blog Entries

That's a good question and I don't know the answer to that at all. There are a number of terms for very similar things. Firstly, odd mythical beasts represented in many documents are known as cryptids and if collected up together is a beastary. All sorts of stuff on the sides of manuscripts are known as marginalia and so I guess one might say that these on maps could be that too. There is also whimsy manuscript illustrations which are known as drolerie (which might have two L's).

The old "Here be Dragons" is not known on any old map but is represented on one old globe. But the images of creatures is all over the place as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The old "Here be Dragons" is not known on any old map but is represented on one old globe. But the images of creatures is all over the place as far as I know.
    i too err by "here there be monsters/dragons"

The vocabulary of maps is something I'm especially interested in, but as far as I know, from reading a lot of books and glossaries, there's no specific terms for the creatures added on maps, unfortunately. "Illustrations" for the generic, or "animals" for creatures (real or imaginary) tends to be the most common terms.
    There's definitely something lacking there, so I hope I'm wrong ! ^^

The only term I've ever seen used has been "map monsters," and it could refer both to actual monsters (where the cartographer didn't know what was out there) or indicators of things like pirates or abundant fish/whales or whatever. These embellishments were generally only used on more decorative maps owned by wealthy persons, rather than on the sort of practical map that might have been used by actual sailors.

One thing I think is interesting is that it was once believed that every land-based animal had an equivalent in the seas.
    Last edited by Krazma; 02-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.