Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kay & Iff

Map Kay & Iff

Hello again, so as some people may have noticed I've been doing much more with a lineless, painted style of map recently. It is fairly time consuming but I am liking the end result.

After the Patterned Vale (way back in July - which seems like forever ago) I wanted to try the same style but for a more regional style map. And so I decided to try out the style for a lineart map I'd made for my boyfriend (the wonderful, beautiful Kellerica, who actually moved in with me this month <3<3). The main design of the map is a heart with two islands, Kay and Iff (no prizes for guessing the names ). For Kay I included plenty of forests and lakes in reference to his home country of Finland, stretching out into archipelagos (we both love drawing them and both have a love of Earthsea) that loop round to circle the small, mountainous isle of Iff.
    Brushes are mostly the same as used in the Vale piece, though I did try my hand at making some brushes for the first time (for the forests). For the colours I again looked for inspiration from Ghibli movies and similar. Timewise it's hard to say how much time was spent as there was quite a bit of experimentation needed. I have also concluded that I cannot do borders - the final border is my favourite of all the attempts but still not entirely satisfied with it. I also decided to leave it label-less after a few attempts didn't work out as well as I would have liked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kay&Iff.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	5.36 MB 
ID:	128451
    Last edited by Ifrix; 07-29-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Adorable. The style stands out, it could be mistaken for hand painted, nicely done.

Pretty cool to see a budding relationship between members, that's a milestone for the guild, I imagine (I still consider myself fairly new).

Keep on with that style, the organic feel just plain works, maybe inspiration will strike you with a good idea for a font in the future.

IR

Wow, this is simply gorgeous!

This is a gorgeous map, and the story behind it is even more heart-warming!

Beautiful work, and hooray for the Guild's first romance (that I'm aware of, anyway)!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Gorgeous map; vibrant colors, realistic, and believable.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

This map is beautiful, I LOVE the texture of the sea! Congrats to Kellerica and you! <3
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

The map is perfect as it is, with no labels, and this lovely minimalistic border, making the islands the real heart of the piece. Top notch, Ifrix, and most of all, congrats to you !! ^^

Thanks to everyrone for the comments and rep! And yeah I'm not sure if this is a first for here but I am so, so thankful for the Guild for letting us meet <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    ... I am so, so thankful for the Guild for letting us meet <3
    As am I <3

I haven't commented as Ifrix is well aware how much I love this map, but it probably does deserve to be said here too. It is absolutely gorgeous and I was so incredibly moved when he made it. I love this style and the colours in particular came out amazingly.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

The water is stunning! Vibrant colours and a subtle but fantastic border!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast