Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use paypal?

I've used paypal, bank transfer, physically mailed check... i feel like there was some others.
    Anyways, yes, paypal has issues due to fees. Some international bank transfers will incur fees and sometimes exchange rate issues, depending on whether you were specific about the currency you are paid in, which you should be specific. I often adjust my quote so paypal fees are considered, though I did not always do this. And when it is a larger project amount, that can be a problem, as it drastically changes the amount sometimes.
    Creating a business account, and using it for bank transfers is ultimately the better way to go, but there are times when paypal is the right choice, or the faster choice, which may be relevant for certain deadline and scheduling issues.

Some clients will cover the paypal fees, some won't. Some prefer bank transfer, some prefer mailed checks.
    Book publishers often send out checks, unless you are a repeat contractor with them, in which case they will set up a bank transfer on file.
    In the end, you just have to work things out with clients, and find ways you are both satisfied with.

I've used PayPal earlier, but I've had similar experiences as many others. The PayPal fees are sometimes really high, and even worse, it seems impossible to know in advance how high the fee would be. Using PayPal, some clients covered the fees and some not, which made things difficult. Also it took many days for the transfer and sometimes without warning, PayPal kept the money "locked" for several weeks before I could get them. So it was horrible, from my point of view. But I know PayPal is relatively easy to use, trusted, and many have accounts there.

However, when searching for better alternatives, I found TransferWise, nowadays just Wise, and I use it now for all international transfers (at least outside eurozone, where I am personally). Wise is reliable, fast, and cheaper than PayPal, so I've been happy with it. (Sounds like an ad but this is really my experience.) This far it has been no problem for my international clients to use it. However there was some big problems when I first used it, because apparently it can be confusing whether the payment is set in local currency or in euros which I'll eventually want. But it works quite well, and I think I won't return to PayPal again.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12