Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mintarn, Sacred Island of Fey Rework [WIP]

Default Mintarn, Sacred Island of Fey Rework [WIP]

Hello everyone, this was originally initiated by the February 2021 Challenge, which was to redo a map. I chose Mintarn, my first humble entry to the forum, the original WIP can be viewed here.

I was unfortunately strapped for time last month, so I was unable to finish it by the dealine. Since I'm no longer bound by time constraints, I wanted to get a bit deeper into the illustration, because this one deserves the attention. Beyond thrilled with the feedback I've recieved prior, thanks to everyone that dropped a line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210305_105806204~2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	128707

I wanted to get a new WIP thread going before I got too far. I've been meaning the add the clouds for awhile, but being new to the illustration process, I was hesitant to add them. I'll be moving on to the lower portion of the banner, and finishing the peacock, who will be brandishing her feathers, wish me luck with that.

IR

PS Lore incoming soon, it will tie into the 5 globes at the bottom.
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-10-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Good to see you are still working on this. As much here, I'm really corious about your map. I warn you that my expectation is really high, so keep doing your best!

P.S. I like the clouds, this ancient greek sensation is matching well with the name of the island and the details.

I like the clouds, too. I'm looking forward to your illustrations.

Glad to see you're continuing work on this map Adfor, it's looking way too good to leave unfinished. I look forward to watching this project continue.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Thanks guys!

Name:	IMG_20210310_195143646~3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	128825

I managed to squeek a compass rose into the piece, I wanted the focus of the illustration to be "The Source", whose backstory is foggy mainly due to the fact that I fabricated it on the spot for the city icon. I want it to be something goofy, which is my take on pretty much everything fey related.

Anyhoo, I need to muster up the courage to do the peacock feathers now that the title scroll is done, but IR nervous. If it turns out good, it should really tie in the border. Then water!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-17-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Greetings!

I just couldn't help but start the water, the feeling of completion is much needed with this one. Don't mind avocado peacock, she's still in the works, I'm probably going to do the feathers in just colored pencil, because I think that the inking would overshadow the feathers too much. My phone screen decided to stop working after a good fall, so I'm only able to provide a cut off scanned version currently (it's 9"x12"), but you get the idea.

Name:	Mintarn. Sacred Island Redo7, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	5.47 MB 
ID:	128894

Sea monsters have made an appearance, I think I'm going to do a crab as the last one, maybe one other, not sure. Otherwise I'm getting really excited for this to be completed.

IR

PS Not sure how I managed to grab the wrong picture, fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mintarn Redo6, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	128893  
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-17-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Oh ! This map!

Hi Adfor! This is looking great.

The scan is sharper than one of your previous ones, although the blue turned to teal, but that's just everyday scanner shenanigans.

I like the title's blackletter style, and the swirly cloud wisps. New favourite feature. The sea monsters are also super cool.

Are you sure the avocado peacock is a she?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Oh ! This map!

Hi Adfor! This is looking great.

The scan is sharper than one of your previous ones, although the blue turned to teal, but that's just everyday scanner shenanigans.

I like the title's blackletter style, and the swirly cloud wisps. New favourite feature. The sea monsters are also super cool.

Are you sure the avocado peacock is a she?
    Hey thanks! I'm really loving the way it has turned out so far, I'm glad you agree.

I decided at some point that I didn't like to use the black liners as my main liner, so I switched to sepia, which allows for the black to really pop when used for the titling. I did clouds similar to these on a previous challenge map, but I wanted to make them more my style.

I'm no expert in fowl. I've seen pictures of other peacocks that look different, are those the females?

A small update, got some more water filled in, and also drew in some more sea monsters, one who greets you warmly.

Name:	IMG_20210317_121623.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	5.27 MB 
ID:	128924

My hope is that I will finish the feather display by this weekend sometime, but I've been allured by other hobbies, and spring's near arrival, so we shall see.

IR

PS Forgot about Agrigaria, that's the fey mainland. I'm going to do a zoomed out comparison of location in the lower left.
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-31-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Haha, it looks like a giant mudcrab.

Female peafowl don't have a fancy tail and are more brown in colour. Technically even the male peacocks' feathers are brown, but their microscopic structure reflects the light in a way that makes it appear blue instead.

It looks great.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    View my website and Instagram

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast