Thread: WIP Climate Help, Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes, I generally understand all of that. Frankly, my precipitation woes stem, I think, from not having too much confidence in my wind maps, so I tend to look at real-world examples that are similar when I am unsure. Like China for eastern Artemis. So for instance (with lat/long):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JanExample.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	129050

Name:	JulExample.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	129051

I worked these out through Azelor's tutorial, and you can see that wind tends to avoid eastern Artermis in January... but I have come to doubt that it would really work that way. I think that I didn't quite do winds correctly. I didn't have a good grasp of how large a landmass had to be to cause a high pressure zone, and looking at real Earth examples wasn't much help, since it seemed to vary considerably. Or maybe I'm wrong and I should tone down the January precipitation and just rely on those July winds for precipitation. I may try that and see how it works.

I understand orographic lift and (generally) rainshadows, too. Orographic lift is what I was referring to when I mentioned mountains that "stop" a desert- like the Ethiopian Highlands do- since that was how Azelor referred to it too. But where I fail is understanding just how profound the effect is for a given mountain. The Olympics are big enough that Sequim doesn't get as much rain as the west of the Washington Coast, but the Himalayas cause the Gobi Desert. There is a difference in scale, there. So I'm trying to figure out exactly how large and dry these rainshadows should be. And also, since I think my wind maps aren't quite perfect, in which direction.

Name:	TopoExample.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	129052

Oddly, I tend to be more confident about my currents...

And just because I think it's a thing of beauty I'm going to post this, too:

Name:	Holdridge.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	129053
    Last edited by acrosome; 03-26-2021 at 10:39 AM.