Thread: Redrobes free Image Processing Tools.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Recipe: Spatial Filter - Remove Grid

So this spatial filter can remove a grid from an image. Adding a grid to an image is easy but removing it implies that you have to guess what might have been under the pixels forming the grid. It is true that were guessing. And its also true that if we supress the vertical and horizontal elements in this alternative universe representation of an image then it will remove ALL vertical and horizontal elements in an image whether they were part of the grid or the underlying image in the background. Hence this works better on images where the background is not at all grid like. So dont try it on dungeons !

I have an image from Tiana to show it to you. I have asked for the permission to use it and I want to use someone elses image instead of my own to show I am not cheating. It turns out that Tiana said that I could have a version wtihout the grid So top tip is first check with the author of a map to see if they might give you one without it ! But lets say you have a map of an old scanned image with a grid you dont want and its from a public domain book, the author is long gone etc then that option wont be available to you.

So using the recipe couldnt be easier. You just upload your input image and run it until it completes and then you have the result. When you upload an image like Tianas then you can use the attachment ID feature to avoid the slow upload.

So putting in 125397 into the attachment ID upload box you get Tianas "Dont follow the lights swamp map" with the original grid.
    Attachment 125397

After processing you have an image like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TianasMapWithNoGrid.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	6.04 MB 
ID:	128927

The grid removal isnt perfect because it depends on just how much of the components of the image you suppress and filter out and that impacts on how much of the good bit of the image you want to keep gets destroyed in the process. But I think you will agree its a pretty impressive algorithm and until this framework it has been hard to access.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-17-2021 at 08:46 PM.