Thread: Redrobes free Image Processing Tools.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Recipe: Instant Islands

I was going to talk about spatial filters but then I recalled that I ought to mention this next one first.

Instant islands is a real quick and dirty way of getting a world map. All you have to provide is an world / island number which is your choice from 1 to 999999. You also provide the width and height of the result and then run it. It should provide an instant basic world map. It will generate a rough colour image and also the height map for it in HF2 format.

So if I set it to generate a 2000 x 2000 image and select map 12345 then I get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InstantIslands_12345_2000x2000.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	128903

Thats it.

The land masses do not have any plate tectonics or erosion or are not specifically very realistic. Its just a starting point for you to make something out of.

Best to run it with a low res sizes like 800x800 or 800x400 or similar and when your happy up it to the required resolution and re run it. You get the same map but with more resolution.

Oh and pick a very unguessable island number if you want to base your own personal world on its results, as everyone gets the same map with the same number !
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-15-2021 at 09:24 PM.