Thread: Fantasy Aerial Map for Video Game Lore

Default Fantasy Aerial Map for Video Game Lore

Hi, I'm in the early stages of a mobile game development and would like help to create one city map and its surrounding. This project has the potential to increase from one order to at least 20 orders... But let's focus on the one first

This map would only appear on the lore section and the game's wiki. It will not be the actual map of the game, so extreme detail is not required.

Background of the story for context purposes:

The planets on the solar system are linked by a ray of energy, starting from the sun and connecting all the planets. Each planet has two Generators on opposite hemispheres. There is also a giant monster roaming around space. But the energy of HeavenStair protects the inhabitants from this monster. Because the planets are locked in its orbit, the atmosphere and surface of each planet is destroyed, no longer habitable. The only safe place is within 20 km radius of the Generator. The surviving inhabitants of every planet come together to their planets’ generators, and after some time, cities were built around the generators.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dome.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	896.5 KB 
ID:	129000

The city is generally divided into 4 parts:

1. Inside the generator (can not be seen). This is the safest and most comfortable place, so the richest people live there.
    2. Build against the generator. The elite live here, with skyscrapers, entertainment buildings and tall apartments.
    3. On land. The middle and lower class all live jumbled together. Some places are better kept than others. Many places also dig underground to create more living space.
    4. Outside of the city walls. Farmland to grow crops and herd pasture animals. Some planets that already master growing synthetic food do not require this farm zone. But others that are not so advanced still require a lot of space to grow crops, trees, and animals to feed the citizens. Some planets also require this space to generate energy, so they may have a lot of solar panels also.

The generator creates a protective shield around the city, 20 km in radius. Other than protecting it from the monster, it also preserves soil fertility, and regulates the atmosphere so people can live inside the shield.

The map I want is around 45 km x 45 km. The city is circular, 15 km in diameter. At its center lies a generator that looks like a jet engine protruding from the ground. The "hole" is 3 km in diameters, and the base is 5 km in diameters.

This is the very rough sample of how the city looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aerial-Shot---Generator-City-Smaller.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	128999

What I want on the map:

A. Depiction of the Generator and the elite area that was built against the generator, and possibly spanning a little bit on the ground level as well. A wall dividing this elite area and the "normal" houses can also be designed. Doesn't need to be perfectly round. The Generator must be in the middle of the city, and the hole must be 3 km in diameter, and the base 5 km in diameter. The "elite" zone can be however big or small as you want.

B. The normal area outside of the elite area and within the city walls. They need to have zones that make sense for a city that large. Maybe a dedicated red light district, a slum area, some scattered trading houses, and airports (fantasy-medieval). Medium class and low class separation can also be interesting, or they can be intermingled as well. I'd like your creativity on this. The city shape is preferably circular, but doesn't have to be perfect. For example, one part of the wall might be "opened" because it's connected to a lake. The city should be around 15-20 km in diameter.

C. The "country area" where usually there are farms and pastures for animals, outside the city walls and within the protective barrier. You may also add sci-fi elements like solar panels and greenhouses. There can also be lush forests and rivers, and as mentioned above possibly a lake. Your call. Caves and even hills are possible as well. This area must be a perfect circle, 20 km radius (40 km diameter) with its center point being the center of the Generator's hole.

D. The land outside of the protective barrier, desolate. There can even be hints of cracked earth, lava, and dark pits. Just mess and destruction thanks to the planet stop turning and stopped orbiting the sun.

Note: the shape on the street does NOT have to be the same as the image attached.

Proposed process:
    - deliver a sketch, get approval
    - deliver city-only first, uncolored but zones marked with zone color of text, get approval
    - deliver all, uncolored, get approval
    - color all, final approval

Delivery: Layered PSD / AI preferred. Otherwise vector / hi res rendered is fine (please specify ahead of time).

Copyright: I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Timeline: Not rushed at all. Take your time.

Preferred Style: https://mikeschley.com/fictional-city-maps

Please email me at least two quotes along with your sample of work:

1. City map only
    2. Full map
    - if you have different quotes based on final file type delivered, please specify as well.

I will be paying via PayPal.

amadeo.octobie@gmail.com

Thank you!
    Last edited by AdventDeo; 03-26-2021 at 01:10 AM. Reason: mile change to km

It's an interesting idea. I can suggest that you create your economy in the city so that you can actively interact with the inhabitants. That would add a very interesting interaction to the game and increase its playthrough. I've seen a similar system in Minecraft, where players create maps and use commands to create ample trading opportunities with civilians. I think it's very interesting and makes it feel like a survival server. A complete resemblance doesn't appear, but it brings the world of the game to life considerably. I hope you like this idea and want to add it to your game. I wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by leciafosl; 04-11-2022 at 09:05 AM.