Thread: Idea: Online mapping conference/live challenges

Default Idea: Online mapping conference/live challenges

Hey all,
    A random idea just came to me, I thought I would throw it out there and you can make of it what you want.
    I remember a while back a few people mentioned the idea of an in person guild meet up, which isn't very feasible for one because we are from all around the world, and now with the pandemic.

Perhaps a more doable idea would be an online guild conference as a chance for the guild to meet as a community, have fun and teach some people who are looking to improve their map making skills.
    I'm thinking a live event with some small challenges of various categories (e.g. 10 min map, 1 hr map, etc..), some live tutorials from some skilled volunteers, walk through of mapping process, maybe an exhibition of Atlas Awards maps.

Anyways, just an idea. I'm not sure how something like this could work but you can chip in your own ideas if it's something you think would be worth discussing more.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    we are from all around the world
    Ironically, however, I am the first to respond to this post. The one other cartographer in your city. ROFL.

Yes, I think it would be really neat if we did some group multimedia content to draw more attention to the wonderful art of cartography! I love speed challenges too. The idea of a livestream where we all work for an hour on a themed challenge is fun to me, it would be neat to stream with some other people and share ideas and concepts.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Ironically, however, I am the first to respond to this post. The one other cartographer in your city. ROFL.

Yes, I think it would be really neat if we did some group multimedia content to draw more attention to the wonderful art of cartography! I love speed challenges too. The idea of a livestream where we all work for an hour on a themed challenge is fun to me, it would be neat to stream with some other people and share ideas and concepts.
    Haha that is really ironic. Instead we could just host an in-person conference with 2 people in Winnipeg.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Haha that is really ironic. Instead we could just host an in-person conference with 2 people in Winnipeg.
    So... instead of a 'conference' you mean we'll just have coffee at Stellas once all this pandemic stuff is over?

Everyone else is invited too, though. You just have to come to Winnipeg.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Well I think this definitely a great idea! (The online event, not the idea of everyone travelling to Winnipeg. Sorry!)

There could be for example short presentations from Atlas Awards winners, someone giving a workshop on some drawing techniques, a live one hour or 30 mins mapping challenge, and some theme group discussions where people could split depending on interests.

I'd love to take part if something like this would be organized. Althoug I already see one big difficulty, the time zones. It would inevitably be at a horrible time of day for some.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia