Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making your Fantasy Map in QGIS

Blog Entries

creating a custom GCS for non-earth sized worlds
    I recall making a post about how to do this recently based on some other QGis forum post from someone.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=47968

Is this any good ?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is super exciting for me. I plan on going through this tonight. I've recently started using qgis and global mapper for my day job and it got me thinking about the fantasy uses for it. Thanks for this! Also I would definitely need to learn more about custom CRS for different world sizes.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I just read through the whole guide (skimming some of it when I recognized concepts) and I'm very surprised to see that mapping in GIS is very similar to mapping in any other vector based software designed for maps or not. Very cool. I use qgis for simvis work, placing features and its data for rendering in industry image generators such as Genesis RTX by Diamond Visionics. I also use it to convert, compress, and align satellite imagery and elevation data with features or vice versa. I'd like to see if some of these concepts could be applied to make amazing visualizations of fantasy worlds. Would require realistic elevation data with erosion calculations and a way to create geotypical terrain imagery, but I think this would be an amazing crossover.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I don't know if you are still following this thread but i was very inspired by your tutorial... that is until i read the section for mountains. I guess i was hoping for a way to add elevation or contour lines to the project. seeing the addition of little V shape mountains was a bit disappointing. Other than that, your work is top notch and it opened my eyes on ways to implement GIS tech into our map making world. Thank you for the contribution.
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12