Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Scribbler's Guide to Octerraca

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Been a while since I checked in here and the progress is amazing! I can't even think of a part to focus the compliments on!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Been a while since I checked in here and the progress is amazing! I can't even think of a part to focus the compliments on!
    I figure that means I'm doing something right! Thank you, Arimel!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210614_165035164.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	130138

The initial layer of color is complete, happy day!

I wanted to switch up my grass to have more variation without involving the sepia pens, and this is what I came up with, I think it's charming.

I still have shading/shadowing to do, then coloring the borders, but that will be the home stretch of the piece.

I'm still tossing around ideas for a little excerpt from the Sledgeburrow dwarf clan, something to set the tone for the town.

IR

PS Lots of shading done. Just finished the ruts in the road, and my hand is protesting, so that's all for today. Let me know if the shading on the mountain looks weird, that was a new experience for me.

Name:	PXL_20210614_221752294.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	130143
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-22-2021 at 05:37 PM.

This will be the final progress report for Sledgeburrow, I'm fairly confident I have the map itself done, though I may return to touch up some things here and there before it gets to the finished section.

Name:	PXL_20210622_212620603.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	130261

Last up is the excerpt section, which I managed to finish inking before my fingers absolutely protested the matter. I still want to go back and define the lettering, then color, then finished!

IR

PS Tis finished, see first post for link.
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-23-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Hello everyone.

I'm making my way south-east to the town of Fain's Burrow; the second Burrow of the region known as Three Burrows, and home to the famed Fainostfyroni (fay-nost-fear-oni), an ancient emperor earth dragon (di long).

Name:	PXL_20210718_170029097.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	130547

Known for their lakeside farmlands and quaint town center, Fain's Burrow has remained a small town by device. Though mostly exporting food to larger cities on south, their artistic export has remained in jewelry for a number of centuries. Adornments whispered to have been worn by Pharix & Pheen, and blessed by Fain himself, have come from this town, though the names of their makers are long lost to all but the Thaumaturgy scholors and Ubiquitary scribblers. It is also spoken by locals, that Fain reclaims those treasures in due time, adding them back with their brethren, deep within the north-eastern wealds.

Name:	Fain's Burrow WIP #2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	937.0 KB 
ID:	130544

I've got the title done now, just ruminating on ideas for further illustrations along the left side.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 07-19-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I like the mustache on the dragon. This is a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I like the mustache on the dragon. This is a great start!
    Thanks Finn! Sorry for the later response, mega busy with sound work.

-----

Hello everyone, it's been a wild ride the past few weeks. I managed to get at Fain's Burrow just a couple times, bordering and roads are done.

Name:	Fain's Burrow WIP #3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	869.8 KB 
ID:	130809

I honestly think I'm just going to leave it in pencil, I wanted to see just how well I could work with a basic #2HB Ticonderoga, without smudging the hell out of it. Seems to be going alright.

IR

Quick update. Being that the map itself is mostly taken by lake, I think this town is going to unfold pretty quickly once I get a day to dig in.

Name:	Fain's Burrow WIP #4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	871.9 KB 
ID:	130826

My current focus is finding a way to make my buildings more organic. One was the ledge effect on the windows, which I derived from Chlodowech's work. The other is drooping the shingles over where I would normally just draw a line. If anyone has thoughts or tips, I'd love to hear them.

IR

This is looking great so far Ian. One thing that I sometimes do with my buildings is I make the line where the building meets the ground less clean to indicate that there is grass and weeds growing up around the sides and suggest that the building has been there a while. I'll sometimes even put in some vertical dashes depending on the scale to really indicate the grass.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    I make the line where the building meets the ground less clean to indicate that there is grass and weeds growing up around the sides and suggest that the building has been there a while. I'll sometimes even put in some vertical dashes depending on the scale to really indicate the grass.
    Thanks, Will! Fabulous idea, I think I'll implement that straight away, before I get too many more buildings drawn. That also jogs my memory to do the same for the streets, like I did for Sledgeburrow.

IR

Howdy all!

Name:	PXL_20210829_132612674.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	130970

Making my way across the board, about to break into the town proper.

IR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234