Thread: The Scribbler's Guide to Octerraca

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Scribbler's Guide to Octerraca

Octerraca, or the Eight Lands, is a project I've been working on since about 2009. The original map has since been zoomed in and had a few much needed reinterpretation of rivers and geography, and is now approaching a new horizon.

My sister gifted me this notebook a few holidays ago, and it's really cool because no matter where you are in the binding, it will lay flat. Perfect for mapping, I've decided to use it in conjunction with The Avori Lowlands to flesh out my former regional project, while producing maps for the region's cities and towns.

Finished Projects:
    Sledgeburrow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Scribbler's Journal.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.79 MB 
ID:	129385

The overall model of this sketchbook is to disconnect myself from the idea of perfectionism that has plagued my progress as an artist for a long time. I've begun to realize the hindering factor it holds in my art, so I'm aiming to change my approach.

I want to bring speed to my process, while not sweating the small stuff, but maintaining the cleanliness of penmanship that I hold so dear, so here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sledgeburrow WIP #1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	129386

"The town of Sledgeburrow began as a small trade hub dealing with the Sledgeburrow clan of dwarves that emerged from the western adjacent mountains shortly after the fall of the Auzari. Their mithril wares and jewelry were coveted by the sound mages to the south, as well as the academia driven sorcerers of the elven factions to the north, and so the clan flourished.

A dark period in their history during the ascent of the Trivium drove the clan underground. With the arrival of the greed driven humans, they closed the gates of Sledgeburrow for nearly 200 years, leaving the encampment an abandoned heap taken back by nature that simply served as a rest stop for caravans and storysowers. After the implosion of the empire known as Triv, the clan was forced above the sub-terrain by the chaos wrought by the Magiclysm. Emerging into a new world, they brought stories of horror in The Deeps, claiming access tunnels to the most ancient of dwarven corridors once closed off now wrenched open.

In a cruel trick of fate, the doors once sealed to the world above, now seal the world above from the horrors below, so proclaimed in Sledgehammer lore & song."

-----

I've got a lot to do still, but I started this just a few days ago, so I'm very happy with the progress, especially having the roads mapped out already.

I think the idea behind the town is that mostly humans occupy it now, and the remaining dwarves of the Sledgeburrow clan really hate that, due to their history. So while it serves as the north-most trade hub between the Mithral Throne (lots of dwarves) to the south, and Praxia (mostly humans) to the north, the climate of the town itself is tumultuous. Also, the big hook in the town is "The Sealed Halls of Sledgeburrow", which just has a great ring to it.

I wanted to let my inhibitions run wild with this project, I think I'm doing it right?

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-23-2021 at 11:55 AM.