Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D&D map for my brother: the Sanctuary Dome

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default D&D map for my brother: the Sanctuary Dome

Hi all! As you might have seen, I am currently working on an awesome commission depicting the World of Undirras. Whenever I'm waiting for input from the client, I try to get some work done on my political map of the continent of Ictaria, because who like free time anyway?

Well, to make things even crazier, I have recently received a question from my brother (who is an avid D&D player), who wanted a map to go along with the campaign he is currently writing out. So I temporarily dropped the Ictaria map (will pick it up again after) and started work on my bro's map immediately, in between commission updates obviously. So this thread is to inform you on the progress I make in the Bromap department!

The idea of this map is a circular area surrounded by a high wall and covered by a magical dome. Wall and dome are there to protect the inside from a quickly degenerating world reigned by fire, death and other rather unpleasant elements. Inside, however, all's well. The inhabitants belong to seven different races: elves live on an island in the middle, and the six other races have been paired up in such a way that they don't bash one another's skulls in. Dwarves and gnomes are living together in one segment, orcs and goblins in another, and humans and halflings share the third and final segment. The elves on the island in the middle maintain the protecting dome. All inhabitants are oblivious to what happens outside the dome, and the six races from the "outer ring" are unaware of what is happening in the elven realm. All they know is that the dome is starting to falter...

OK. So here's the first sketch I drew, outlining the different sections and the dome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bromap - sketch 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	128156

Ultimately the dome will be much thinner than in this sketch, and the tower in the middle will make room for a vastly smaller one (turns out this place is several tens of kilometers in radius. A tower reaching all the way to the top of the dome would be just as tall, which is preposterous even in an elven-magic kind of world). But the general layout is there!

I am currently filling in the segment that will be called home by the dwarves and gnomes:

Name:	bromap (1a).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	128158

So! Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? Critique? Let 'em come!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-03-2021 at 10:25 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Okay, here's the next update!

Name:	bromap (1c).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	128163

One segment down, two to go. The next segment will be all about orcs and goblins!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Awwww daaaamn this is going to be epic, no doubt. I really love the concept, it has a sort of Truman Show feel. Very interested to see this progress!

IR

I will be very keen to see the different geographies at play. Your style is beautiful, both in scale and detail!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Okay, update! I recently found myself in possession of a spot of free time again (after weeks of crazy busy crashing schedules), so naturally I filled it with more mapping! First I updated my Undirras commission map as much as I could (before awaiting comments/approval from the client) and then I still had some time left to ink segment two of this map. So here goes:

Name:	bromap (2a).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	128444
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

How's this map coming along?

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    View my website and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    How's this map coming along?
    Hey thanks for asking! This particular map is a bit on the backburner since I want to get my commission (for a paying client) out of the door first. You can find more on that map here. As soon as that one's finished, I'll continue work on this piece of course!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Okay guys,

While I awaited input from the client on my Undirras map, I finally had some time to continue work on this one. Here's the finalized inking. I added the third segment, plus a ton of extra detail in the segments that were already there.

Name:	bromap (6a).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	128919

With this done, I can move on to colouring and shading!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Already looks amazing.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

It does, eh?

It reminds me of the Divergent trilogy of books.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    View my website and Instagram

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast