Thread: May 2021 Challenge: The C12 Galaxy

Map May 2021 Challenge: The C12 Galaxy

My setting takes place in a multiverse where we use alphabetic tags to note which branch of the multiverse it is, and numbers to indicate which iteration in the multiverse's 'stack' it is. Canon is A2.2, which... I mean the number should paint a picture of its overall not-utopia status.

C12 is the universe which kept going with great stability, moving forward in its stack without weird timeline splits, instabilities, and time loops. They're now so stable that they monitor other timelines from their galaxy and rescue people who are about to die due to a galaxy-ending disaster, or personal magical mishap of extreme catastrophic consequences, such as becoming adrift in a magical plane without an anchor.

Welcome to C12.

The Place that Got It Right. The Galaxy of the Multiverse Rescuers (name as of yet uncanonized and up for debate, LOL).

This is the underlying art of the galaxy prior to me adding all of the markers for systems and Gates, coming up...

I painted it using my most recent cartography assets pack for the most deep underlay of the nebula the galaxy rests on and clone tool tricks to build up the entire spiral. Basically, painted with the rendered nebula texture itself. The textures in the pack include elements like this one to build your own solar system, an expansion to my first solar system map element pack, and should be up on Roll20 and CartographyAssets next weekish... but I guess you can use this one for free if you want it, free sample!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seamless stars red nebula haze backdrop[stars, outer space galaxy, solar system map].jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	412.0 KB 
ID:	129750

Then I went over it again a few times to build up density in the stars and colors.

So this is our starting galaxy.

Name:	galaxyc12.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	129744

How did it get there, since it's obviously far more than the texture underneath that I started with? Well, I'd like to know that myself sometimes...

This is the progress on the galaxy.

Name:	painting the underlying galaxy.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	129748

Now this is the galaxy with the markers added for systems and Gates. This is where we're actually starting to get into 'map' territory but the scraper won't capture the right one if I tag it on this post with several images to show you how I got it to this step, so the next step will appear in my next post with the tag.

Name:	c12galaxy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	129749

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Now this is where it's actually at, with the two underlaying maps on a larger map that isolates the systems and gates with legends for the info.

I may completely abandon this layout but it's what I'm testing now.

So yeah, I'm going for Star Trek utopia.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	c12.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	129753

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

I threw out the layout for now and just tried putting text on the galaxy layout itself. I haven't gotten to everything but it's starting to get preetty cluttered. Still, I might add more later. And probably like a legend to explain the symbols. Yellow is 'gate', orange is 'door' and the blue is a 'Dreamgate'. The circles represent systems of interest.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	c12galaxytext.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	728.9 KB 
ID:	129857

I wanted to capture some of the core density so I made this...

Name:	the core.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.95 MB 
ID:	129862

Then I put labels on the inset to name all of the core systems. And this hasn't even touched on any worlds within the systems!

And I threw back on the 'only labelling the transit gate covered areas' portion and a small legend.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ministry of newcomers pamphlet.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	129863

Over 500 views and not a single comment... how depressing.
    Last edited by Tiana; 06-01-2021 at 01:47 AM.