Thread: Keep on an Island

Map Keep on an Island

Hi Everyone

This is a little map I completed this afternoon, I got some watercolour paints recently and I've been doing some little drawings to experiment with them. This is the first one (the first that I'm happy to show anyway). For this map I inked in the outline. Then used black paint to add in the shadows and a little bit of yellow for the windows. The keep itself is based on Château de Val, Les Fontilles in France.

The map is done using all physical materials as outlined below
    - A5, 200gsm watercolour paper
    - Dip pen with black Windsor & newton calligraphy ink
    - Pebeo studio watercolour paints

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keep_on_an_island_lowres.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	129804
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Your ability to make such straight lines like those by hand is really impressive - mine always wobble a little bit . This looks really good. I just wouldn't lose balance walking up the entrance with no rail to catch you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Your ability to make such straight lines like those by hand is really impressive - mine always wobble a little bit . This looks really good. I just wouldn't lose balance walking up the entrance with no rail to catch you.
    Thanks Arimel, the dip pens help a bit with the line straightness as they have a flat edge rather than a round tip. Also, I do generally turn my page to be perpendicular to my hand when drawing a line that needs to be straight which helps quite a lot. The lack of a handrail is actually a defensive feature of the keep; to attack the gate you not only need to cross the bridge with no cover whatsoever but you also need to not fall off the side while trying to avoid arrow fire.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Lovely little piece! I love the strong contrast of the shading and that beautiful texture you get with paints and paper like this.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.