Thread: The Godeater Society: A build-your-own Gentlemen's club and Tavern.

Post The Godeater Society: A build-your-own Gentlemen's club and Tavern.

Hello all,

I had a strange idea for a tavern that will serve as a hub for characters in a DND/Pathfinder game of mine. Unfortunately, visualizing it has been a bit of a problem child- it's dimensions are nebulous and a single, static map wouldn't do it credit.

That said, this is the basic pitch:

Subject
    Three things are known of the Tarrasque that are certain. First, it cannot be killed. Second, it remains in a deep slumber beneath the earth. And third, there is only one Tarrasque. These three facts fulfill a very specific set of conditions for a certain magical spell. If you are educated enough to know of the Tarrasque, and powerful enough to cast a spell to enter the creature's dreams, you can gain access to the Godeater Society.

The Godeater Society is a social club contained entirely within the subconscious of the Tarrasque. It was given form by the collective psyche of its patrons and staffed by those that call the Land of Dreams their home. Those who visit for a drink are individuals of strength and renown from all over the material plane, meeting regularly for metaphorical drink and casual conversation.

In the Realm of Dreams, the structure of the club varies with the wind, but it always takes the shape of a bar. The general agreement was that, if one had to monitor the end of the world, they might as well do so with a stiff drink in hand. Because of this, there are features of the bar that everyone agrees should be the same. The rest of it is influenced by regulars, impressing their own opinion of what an ideal clubhouse should be on the bar's structure.

Quality & Size
    Ideally, the tavern would be made in a series of grid-based 'mini maps' that the GM would arrange in a collage every time the party visited the Tavern. There would be about 4 'Fixed' sections that are always present, and a series of sections influenced by the "regulars" that make up the rest of the bar.

Pricing wise, I would probably pay individually for each mini map. The dimension of each 'mini map' would vary, and with the exception of one 'Fixed' section in particular, I don't think any of them would have more than a 7x7 tile area. Each square of the mini maps should be high enough quality to print for an IRL game, but left in multiple of 200px for easy resizing onto a Roll20 map.

In an ideal situation, every map would look unique with its own color scheme and theme. However, when lined up with other mini-maps, the ground would look like it was all part of one, continuous floor, no matter how the tavern is set up.

...Which might be a bit of an art challenge?

Time Constraints
    I don't have a hard or fast date of when I need this project finished by, but I'm looking for enough material to run a game in within the next 5 or so months.

Copyright
    I would like reproduction rights to the map.
    The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of their portfolio.

Last Word-
    Map making is really fun for me- Normally, I make my own maps using the isometric, cut & paste style of map creation, but I am no good when it comes to hand-drawn environments. This puts me in a bit of a pickle, since I was also thinking of making this into a free supplement, with written-out NPCs and descriptions. Because of that, I was curious on pricing for having it hand-drawn instead!
    Last edited by doomsmith; 05-18-2021 at 04:44 PM.

In an ideal situation, every map would look unique with its own color scheme and theme. However, when lined up with other mini-maps, the ground would look like it was all part of one, continuous floor, no matter how the tavern is set up.
    Easily achieved with tileable photo texture fill.

Pretty sure most of the battlemap artists around here can handle it, myself included.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Sounds interesting. Please contact me contact (AT) fantasy-map (DOT) net to discuss details.