Thread: WIP: Town on a edge.

Guild Member

Wip WIP: Town on a edge.

Hello, I have working on this map for a while. It started as a isometric study but I liked the style and keep working on it but now I am strugling to finish it I have asked for ideas before but none of it worked to my satisfaction hope You can help.
    P.S. Please small only small changes. I don't want to redraw as much as possible and I will draw new trees and add a waterline when I am sure how to finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gothic3City.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	7.72 MB 
ID:	129985

This is looking really good so far, I really like the level of detail on the buildings.

I would recommend that you add shadows to the buildings, trees, etc. Having a shadow can really help an object to feel grounded in a scene. Without them, especially if the objects are sitting on a fairly plain background, it can often feel like objects are floating in mid air.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking really good so far, I really like the level of detail on the buildings.

I would recommend that you add shadows to the buildings, trees, etc. Having a shadow can really help an object to feel grounded in a scene. Without them, especially if the objects are sitting on a fairly plain background, it can often feel like objects are floating in mid air.
    I really should add shadows before looking for anything else thanks a lot

I like it too, it's a friendly little map. For me, something is off about the perspective. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but when I look at it the green grass-covered ground seems to rise and fall depending on where I look. So something might be off in the perspective of the individual pieces you've placed. I think one way to get around that might be to indicate ground elevation graphically. Just a thought.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    I like it too, it's a friendly little map. For me, something is off about the perspective. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but when I look at it the green grass-covered ground seems to rise and fall depending on where I look. So something might be off in the perspective of the individual pieces you've placed. I think one way to get around that might be to indicate ground elevation graphically. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I think I should be able to fix the floating buildings problem when I add the shadows and details to fix them to the space around props.Also ground is another factor as it is now and I am strugling with it, I might have to add way to much detail than I initially intended but its a fun project and I like to work on it when I have free time. Some buildings are there to force myself to draw in odd angles and I didn't build a perspective grid when I started(just being lazy).
    I will do some quick sketches when I have free time and post it here.