Thread: May/June '21 Lite Challenge: Dragon Inn

Default May/June '21 Lite Challenge: Dragon Inn

I'll be mapping the titular structure from the 1992 film Dragon Inn (aka New Dragon Gate Inn). Since I'm getting to this late and will be unplugged until Monday, there will be no WIPs until (I hope) I get the final version scanned and posted under the deadline Monday. It's going to have to be hand-drawn on paper, as those are the tools I'll have available.

The inn is the last stop before the crossing out of China through the Dragon Gate Pass. It is situated in a desert borderland of harsh conditions. Sometimes, the innkeeper kills a guest, who ends up in the spicy meat buns. The innkeeper and her butcher/cook aren't the villains of the film, by the way. That would be an ambitious court eunuch and his army.

Unfortunately, exterior shots other than of the front side of the inn were almost non-existent, while the interior shots did not provide a good overall sense of the layout. In fact, I'm fairly certain that there are some inconsistencies. But that's fine. I can draw a map of the inn suitable for use as a game setting (the whole situation of mutually hostile forces sharing shelter in a storm and maneuvering for advantage, making the occasional secretive strike, would translate very well to an RPG session, I think). The exact layout is not so much to the point as including plenty of table, chairs, posts, and crossbeams for acrobatic combat, as well as the crumbling sections of wall outside, the skylights allowing assassins to drop into rooms, and the millstones into which someone must surely be pushed to be crushed to death.

Welcome to the challenge rdanhenry, this sounds real interesting.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Sounds interesting! I hope you make the deadline!

Map

Here we go! Just realized I hadn't erased my pencils, so I still have something left to do. I need to eat dinner, but will try to get cleaner versions up before the deadline. At least, I do have a map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon Inn Full.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	130144

And the cleaner version:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon Inn Full.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	130145

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Wow that is a lot of detail there! I will have to come back tomorrow morning to finish reading it (short on time at the moment) but the map itself looks really good!