Thread: Cthulhu RPG 1920s Setting Maps for a Scenario Pack / Book

Help Cthulhu RPG 1920s Setting Maps for a Scenario Pack / Book

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at looking for cartographers here, so please bear with me if I did not include something obvious in describing my project and request.

Project Background:

Small press roleplaying scenario/campaign book to be distributed in print and digital format. The book will be using a Cthulhu Dark rules in the 1920s, although the scenarios will be able to be used with any Cthulhu RPG ruleset.

This campaign is horror themed that also involves addressing different types of mental health issues, in the context of socio-cultural factors.

My goal is raising awareness for mental health - I'm a psychiatrist, but also a game designer and illusionist. I launched a little company (i.e. me!) to create board games and roleplaying games that obliquely blend in mental health awareness, and tie these projects to charitable aims, where profits go to worthy causes (such as funding puppy training for service dogs).
    You can find out more here:
    https://linktr.ee/houndsandjackals

Further details on the background can be shared with those interested in becoming involved with this project, but here is some material from the draft intro:

“INTRODUCTION

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

“The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination.”

― H. P. Lovecraft

This tome contains seven scenarios and supplemental materials that will deal with the above quotes; where investigators learn of the personal price of confronting eldritch menaces, beyond just the threats of death or becoming unfunctional due to mental impairment for sanity shaking encounters.

Such adventures include: an investigation into the Mount Everest of Haunted Manors; a hunt for the Legendary Alligator Man of the Sewers; facing Vengeance from Beyond the Grave; solving a Supernatural Scandal in the World of Haute Couture; averting Prophecies of Doom; engaging in the first Journey to the Stratosphere; and dealing with a Plan to Unite the People of the Earth… literally.

The material in the book often contains mature themes and is intended for Players 16 years of age and older.

Although the chief goal of this book is to provide role-playing entertainment, it has another equally important goal: to raise awareness of Mental Health issues in society, as well as highlight important issues of the human condition.

The antagonists / prime movers of each scenario are persons who are much like the typical Investigators: but who have lost their way and have become (or have created) monsters as dark as the threats they once opposed. Please note that I do not use the term “villain” as the antagonists are presented as complex human beings whose decisions and external events led them into the circumstances of the scenario. In fact, many of the scenarios try to link the Player Characters’ own choices, behaviours and actions to be an aspect to what led the antagonist into darkness (or possible redemption) and the consequences that follow.”

Project is currently preparing to enter playtesting.

Setting:
    Primarily the United States in the 1920s, with all sorts of supernatural menaces.

Design Concept:
    The interior art is very surrealistic and offbeat, as I’m trying to get some really unusual art to help capture the feel of the bizarre– and so I am seeking cartographers/setting map makers who also like to make their maps “eerie” i.e. I want this book to feel “organic” and as little to do with feeling “digital” …. Something with the handmade coolness with a dash of depth and mystery. Such as 3D side profile with various objects and items added to bring the thing into more “reality.”

Number of maps:
    TBD determined, but there will be at least needed:
    • A Haunted Manor and Grounds
    • A Sewer System and Lair
    • A Speakeasy with secret chambers
    • A secret airfield
    • Small Town
    • A Club House
    • A Yacht

Note that I can give the sketches and also core rooms/locations needed, but I do enjoy allowing an artist to have some freedom to add some of their own ideas and designs, which is why I like to talk with the people I work with to make sure we are aligned in the vision and concepts of what a map is needed for and to do.

Technical:
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files
    Full color

Quality & Size:
    [Professional]
    [Required for print / web]
    [Dimensions of map: will vary, and can be discussed further]

Copyright:
    Remains with the cartographer.
    Publisher retains the right to reproduce the maps in the book and for promotional materials.

Deadline:
    Flexible. The book is currently in playtesting phase. Likely will have many months before going into any final phase – but I like to start early! This is going to be a long project, as there are 7 scenarios to be tested out, and so there is no rush or time pressure in terms of sudden turn-around time

Payment:
    Please contact me to discuss any further questions you might have so you can give me some ballpark ideas of what your fees may be.

Note: I plan to crowdfund this

Info—at--houndsandjackals.ca
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)

And/or Private Message me

Guild Journeyer

Hello, I tried sending you an email a few times and I'm not sure if it went through.

Here are links to my pages, if you're interested you can contact me through any of those.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Strigunart
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/

Maps are fully hand drawn and colored with quills, brushes and inks, and scanned in 600 dpi.

Cheers!

Hi Stringuart,

I sent you an email back.... not sure if you got it?

Thanks,

BB