Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June-Aug '21 Lite Challenge: Western Amiro Empire

Second on the border design, the simple approach and lifted effect are an eye catcher. Cool ship!

IR

The mountains and forests are looking good.

It looks very promising Arimel. Do you plan to fill the void of the desert with something or its just sand all around?
    Good Job.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Andarr View Post
    It looks very promising Arimel. Do you plan to fill the void of the desert with something or its just sand all around?
    Good Job.
    A slight problem with the quality of the photos here! There will be a mix of different desert types through the map. The western side is primarily sandy wastes (with a nice dragon skeleton in the center just because). Along the coast there is some scarce vegetation zones as well. To the NE of the map will be more badlands/canyon lands. Still very dry but more rock than sand. To the SE is more cracked mudflat/sand flat desert where there used to be huge flooding (and occasionally still is) but the land is just dried out and cracked now. In the central north there is a savanna area but next to it is a salt desert (absolutely lethal to the Thaldorian hives of ant-ish-people that live in the desert to the north). And finally there is a mix of sink-sand-desert stuff in the central to east central part of the map. Phew! That is a lot. I think I hit nearly every type of stereotypical desert here!

All of this I have outlined in pencil but none of it really shows up on the images. The pen should do a bit better and I now have a scanner I can use to do the final bit (I hope). It has not been tested on this type of paper though and I want to ensure that I have a good final product image before risking it getting shredded when sent through!

So here is a slight non-sandy bit of desert for show. I have been working on the mesas/canyonlands/badland things in the Northeast of the map. Still a good bit to go there but the ink is spreading...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	130451

Looks good. I can definitely see the canyon layers.

I like that phrase "The ink is spreading..." It sounds a little foreboding.

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Very foreboding. Once it starts to spread, little can stop the tide!

Well, here is the completed black and white version! I have used a scanning app to get a cleaner image, so everything should be visible now (I say before seeing the uploaded image). If this turns out clear than I think I know how I will be doing updates in the future!
    Colored pencil fun is next!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Doc 2021-07-17 15_19_42_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	973.8 KB 
ID:	130521

Edit: For reference, the scale bar on the parchment is for 450km and wow that is a much clearer image than I expected!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's looking outstanding. Love the little details like the scorpion. And your mountains are on point!

It is coming together nicely! The scan is nice and clear.

Love the crags, Finn. The barren expanses are a great minimalist touch, can't wait for the color!

IR

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast