Thread: The Hayholt - From The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

Map The Hayholt - From The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

It has been a long time since I did a city map, so when I began reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams and saw a map of The Hayholt...I knew this was my excuse to dive in.

The maps that I could find of the city has quite a few conflicting elements, so I did my best to combine them with some of my own artistic license. The result is the sketch below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12408C30-E961-4B5E-9E5B-7622DCF9563A.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	130419

I’m excited to keep working on it and share some updates with you along the way. Plus, I’m anxious to keep reading

- Josh | MapEffects

Wip

I was able to start the line work for the Inner Bailey of the city. I’m purposely trying to keep things rougher so the map has a hand drawn aesthetic with all the subtle imperfections that for some reason are so appealing.

I’m also using one of my textured liner brushes I created for Procreate to give a little more of that natural tooth you’d get from drawing on paper.

- Josh | MapEffects

Name:	37860467-2CCA-4EFF-8C78-65CDAE35D573.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	130429

Blog Entries

Nice ! But do you ever find that you have inked something in then read a passage from the book which changes things ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Nice ! But do you ever find that you have inked something in then read a passage from the book which changes things ?
    Good thing I draw digitally Makes changes like that easier. I’ve definitely had that happen though. There’s almost always some kind of mistake on book maps like this if you’re really paying attention.

I like that you're adding your own derivatives as you're reading, very cool. Looks sharp so far, Josh.

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I like that you're adding your own derivatives as you're reading, very cool. Looks sharp so far, Josh.

IR
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

Here is the latest update on my city map of The Hayholt. For the most part all the line art is done, with the exception of adding the numbers to the building indicated in the key. Time to start coloring and shading!

- Josh

Name:	Hayholt-Line-Art.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	130588

Beautiful map, I love the delicate border.

Thank you for posting the in-progress shots.

Guild Member

Nice! Cool timing too. Had just started re-reading the series a few days ago! lol