Thread: City of Nyxotos for the Community Atlas on the Profantasy website.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default City of Nyxotos for the Community Atlas on the Profantasy website.

Hi everyone.

It's been a few years since I've actually done a real map but I'm finally back at it again. This time I am trying to make a map of a City called Nyxotos. It is supposed to be in the style of a city state of middle ages Italy but that interpretation is very loose.

Anyway, it is made using the Mike Schley overland style in Campaign Cartographer 3+. I had to get creative with the symbol set used because it doesn't really work as well as when I made the City of Mok Torkan map. So I can't go into photoshop and change any of the symbols to a different design because this is meant to be shared with the public and I am bound by Profantasy's EULA which forbids changing them and distributing the changed symbol with the public. And since I am uploading the original FCW file to the Profantasy website, that would give anyone who downloaded it the changed symbol.

But here is a few pictures of the progress I am making.

The third map is a close up of the northern city gates. Eventually very few of the entrances on the wall themselves will be visible, so it will look more natural, not like a bunch of random buildings just pushed together like it does now. Also note how the gates were made. I took a pre made city symbol and placed towers in front of it, set it on a different sheet that automatically sends that symbol to the back. Then I placed other unwalled city symbols over the top of the visible wall sections of the first symbol. I kept them on the regular symbol sheet but used the "Send to Back" button to place them behind the facing towers. So they ended up overlapping the symbol I placed on the symbol sheet that automatically sends things to the back, but stayed behind the front facing towers.If you look at the city symbol on the left, it is the exact same city symbol I used for this, only mirrored so the gate goes in a slightly different direction. Anyway, I will post updates occasionally until the city is done. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Nyxotos.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	860.5 KB 
ID:	130514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Nyxotos 2.PNG 
Views:	47 
Size:	821.5 KB 
ID:	130515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Nyxotos gate.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	130516  

I don't know the software you're using, but what I understand is that you don't have a lot of freedom in the variety of buildings you can use to make your map. But even with those limits, your city look really nice! The ''medieval italy'' feel is definitely here!

Thank you Skaald. Yeah, I really don't have a lot of freedom in the variety of buildings, especially this set. There weren't as many buildings made for this particular set. The other sets have quite a bit more than this one. So I use little tricks I've learned to try to make a bit more variety. It works a little but its still a bit frustrating. So, here's a bit more of the city built up.

Name:	City of Nyxotos 4.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	130518  

A bit more added. I don't like the way the sea wall is so straight so I am going to try to round it out a bit more. And the straight wall on the western side is actually there to separate the foreign district of the city from the rest. When done, the city will look a little more circular than it does in this picture.

Name:	City of Nyxotos 7.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	130532  

A bit of an update. I've finished the sea wall and added a few docks and ships.

Name:	City of Nyxotos 9.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	130535  

Ok, since I'm out of practice I am keeping this one simple. This is the completed City of Nyxotos that will be available for the Community Atlas on the Profantasy website. Enjoy

Name:	City of Nyxotos Finished.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	130605