Hi Fellow mapmakers !

Today, I'm sharing with you the map I drew for author Robert V.S. Redick for his latest novel Sidewinders, the second installment of his Fire Sacraments trilogy (I drew the map for the first tome Master Assassins back in 2018 and you can find it here).

It was a delight to work with Robert as he is driven, demanding and knows what his story needs. Having lots of freedom as a mapmaker is nice but having a clear path in front of you can be relaxing some times.

Robert wanted a double page spread map, legible and evocative. The land being mostly desert, we decided to keep the terrain depiction at its simplest, focusing on conveying the important elements of the story.

Later, Robert needed a map more publicity oriented and we went for some burnt parchment feel reminiscing of the hot, dry and merciless mood of the novel so, torn parchment and warm colors on my end.

I also took a lot of pleasure depicting the Matoglin, an ornate dagger/short sword that was depicted in the first book (and I learned about it after the map was finished when I read the amazing story).

Now, I just want to learn what happens to the two main characters, two peculiar brothers. Robert is one hell of a character builder and I can only recommend you take a look at this story. In the meantime, here come the map !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urrath Final post.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	669.3 KB 
ID:	130563--------------Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urrath Sepia post.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	690.6 KB 
ID:	130564
© Thomas REY - 2021 - All rights reserved

I hope you like it

Cheers !

Thomas