Thread: Fantasy world map.

Default Fantasy world map.

Hi erveryone,

I present you my last map made for the fantasy world i'm building since two years.

I drew my maps on paper and on paint for a long time, then i aquire a Wacom graphic pad and photoshop. I don't have drawing skills so i use the "lazy" tools that virtual mapping offer : copy/paste, reflexion, straight lines...etc.

The colored one represent the differents factions territorys. I'm not satisfied with the disposition of the non-map elements like title, legend and borders and i haven't named all rivers yet.

Thanks you for looking at my map, all critics and comments are welcome!:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New map16.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	130554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New map royaumes4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	130555  

I like your style, to me has a vibe of Hexagonal map (remembering the old D&D maps!).
    For the non-map elements, maybe you could put the windrose il the bottom left corner to occupy that space...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quite a different style. Cute is the word that comes to mind.

I saw that you want some feedback, so I'll give some. One, the way you did the shadows of the mountains is almost fine, but the way each shadow cuts off in a hard line on the bottom is kind of distracting.
    Two, most of the color regions connecting to the next happens organically, but some, like the brown, feels too abrupt. I guess it's maybe because there is no river there to make a line, but you can always just add a smaller line to hide the color transition a bit better.

I hope that makes sense. I was trying to word it alright.
    Good luck going forward!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thanks for your comments and feedback!
    I don't think i'm gonna modify this map but i will apply your advices to the next ones.

This is a great map. For the labels i would stick to the graphic style. Something easy to read would fit the overall feel.
    And yeah, i like the hexagons, too.

This is an extremely elegant use of the hexes. I really like it. My only feedback would be for a hexagonal map that has such distinct, good looking features, the texture of the map is very heavy and closer to parchment.

Thanks for your answers!

I take note of the advises for the labels and map texture.

This is the first time i show one of my map to people who know mapping so the compliments really touch me.

Hey nicely done! I agree with everything everyone else has shared about liking the hex style and the overall look of the map. I guess my one piece of feedback would be that you may want to make your roads connecting cities less straight. It makes sense that you would take a direct route from one city to another, but topography tends to get in the way and causes roads to meander a bit more than seems logical on the surface.

But honestly this looks really good and I look forward to seeing more of your maps in the future!

- Josh

Thanks for your comment!
    You're right the roads are not very realistic i was a bit lazy on this details:/