Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Planet Kaunis – A World-Building Project

It isn't so much a matter of acquiring a taste for this sort of work, but of having the expertise to be able to helpfully comment. Especially when those who haven't dived deeply into climate models know we have several members who have. Then you make it an extra-difficult case by varying significantly from Earth, making even expert commentary somewhat speculative.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you rdanhenry,

I suppose my conworld does deviate slightly from Earthly parameters, but I'm lightheartedly challenging anyone with a climatological background to help work out my climate zones and determine whether my ocean circulation is realistic. This shouldn't feel like pulling teeth; it should be a purely enjoyable and intellectually rewarding pursuit! As for speculation, I believe it's inevitable in any kind of hard-physics world-building setting, unless the world is exactly equal to the earth in its parameters. My 45-hour day is the only orbital dynamic that makes the conworld unlike Earth; thus, I truly hope I'm not demanding too much.

Thank you for anyone out there with insight.

Peter

Have you tried following the tutorial on this link?

https://worldbuildingpasta.blogspot....-part-vib.html

The only software used is Clima-Sim, and with it's results, you can somewhat find the correct climate for your world. In the link below, by the same author, there's a section explaining what to do in a planet with longer rotation days (as well as other exotic settings)

https://worldbuildingpasta.blogspot....html#longerday

Eusebio Ptolomeu's suggestion is a good one if you haven't already seen it. Other than that I think you're rapidly getting into the realm of needing to consult research papers since we don't have a tidally locked earth to make observations of. On the bright side, given that there is active academic discussion of how the climates should behave, you have quite a bit of creative liberty in how you choose to lay things out.

Thank you Eusebio Ptolomeu and MrBragg,

I'm very impressed and satisfied with this treasure trove you've posted here. I've glanced over the link and see a wealth of useful information that will undoubtedly assist me to develop the climatology of my conworld.

Again, thank you so much.

Peter

Hello Guild,

I've made some progress with my climates, using the very practical "Worldbuilding Pasta" site recommended by Eusebio Ptolomeu. I haven't yet accounted for more efficient meridional heat transport due to Kaunis' slow spin, nor have I added the extra 5 degrees to the hemisphere facing Electra. However, I'm more certain about my ocean currents and their effects on local climate. Next I'll have to determine rainfall values, keeping in mind that Kaunis lacks a polar front as well as a subtropical high pressure belt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Climate.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	835.7 KB 
ID:	131699

Thanks for viewing!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; 10-30-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Map Latest Progress -- Actual Wind Circulation

Hello all cartographers,

I've been doing some research on Hadley cell extent on slowly-rotating worlds, having discovered that on Kaunis, the Hadley cells would NOT extend all the way to the poles, as I previously imagined. Rather, they would be offset by about 12 degrees towards the poles (using Earth as a reference). Also, due to Kaunis' 12 degree tilt, the meridional movement of these pressure cells would amount to only about 5 degrees north and south. Using these values, I've constructed a wind circulation diagram for Kaunis for the northern summer and winter. Please let me know if you see any errors.

Peter

Name:	Northern Summer.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	131933 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Winter.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	131934

Very good job on this planet, soon I hope to make also a totally alien world rather than the usual Earthlike, this is coming along very nice.
    I wouln't stress too much on perfectionism because by my own experience I realized that its impossible to make an errorproof study on fictional planets regarding climates as there are hundreds of factors that could influence them so I am looking forward to find automated solutions to apply the already well known formulas to apply in order to make it more automated rather than having to spend days on matching everything by hand and guesses.
    Yet I have foudn some simulators but in the end they are less precise than what I would do manually , and what I would do manually is yet much less precise than what would do an actual meteorologist.
    Anyway great Job and keep up with it , looking forward to see it further evolved.

Map The Planet Kaunis -- Rainfall based on Pixie's tutorial

Thank you Naima!

I was finally able to overcome a severe form of perfectionism that had been sapping my creativity and limiting my progress for many months, ever since I finished the base map in early September. Today’s update, which took seven hours to complete, relied mostly on Pixie’s climate tutorial, although I modified that slightly to take into account Nikolai Hersfeldt’s personal interpretation, from his site “Worldbuilding Pasta.” As I’m not completely satisfied with the final product (something seems "off"), I would appreciate if someone out there could tell me if my rainfall looks plausible (perhaps Pixie herself?).

As a reminder, my Hadley cells are located at about 45 degrees north and south latitude, taking into consideration a slowly rotating planet (day length: 44.6 earth hours). Axial tilt is 11.8 degrees, eccentricity 0.027, and argument of obliquity virtually identical to the Earth.

Thank you for anyone out there who has feedback to offer.

Peter

January:

Name:	January Rainfall.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	131972

July:

Name:	July Rainfall.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	131973

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    Thank you Naima!

I was finally able to overcome a severe form of perfectionism that had been sapping my creativity and limiting my progress for many months, ever since I finished the base map in early September. Today’s update, which took seven hours to complete, relied mostly on Pixie’s climate tutorial, although I modified that slightly to take into account Nikolai Hersfeldt’s personal interpretation, from his site “Worldbuilding Pasta.” As I’m not completely satisfied with the final product (something seems "off"), I would appreciate if someone out there could tell me if my rainfall looks plausible (perhaps Pixie herself?).

As a reminder, my Hadley cells are located at about 45 degrees north and south latitude, taking into consideration a slowly rotating planet (day length: 44.6 earth hours). Axial tilt is 11.8 degrees, eccentricity 0.027, and argument of obliquity virtually identical to the Earth.

Thank you for anyone out there who has feedback to offer.

Peter

January:

Name:	January Rainfall.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	131972

July:

Name:	July Rainfall.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	131973
    Have you not taken into consideration rainshadow?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12