Thread: Weather generators?

Guild Member

Default Weather generators?

Hello all, it's been ages... I know that there are programs that create artificial worlds fractally. But I'm looking for apps that might create or generate weather to put on those planets, and I can't find anything. Does such a thing exist?

I'm looking at writing a novel set in a fantasy world, and hoping for shortcuts that won't distract me to the point that the novel never gets written. I'm very good at falling down rabbit holes.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

the only thing i can think of are the computer models that the likes of NOAA use

they are free to use but there is a very very very steep learning curve to use them

i create planets and cloud maps using Blender
    here is an example
    https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21332

but as to the weather patterns ?????
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Member

Argh, deleted my message by mistake, I think. I've seen instructions for modeling weather or climates manually. What I'd love to see is something where you can plug in a planet terrain map, possibly one that you created elsewhere, and have it model or map out the climate and weather for you.

I've also seen random generators that were essentially just "roll the dice within these parameters", which honestly might be all I need. I'm writing a novel, and don't want to use scaled up maps as my templates anymore... but I also don't want to fall down the map making rabbit hole and forget to write my story.

Blog Entries

I dont have any but I did a quick search over nasa and got this page:

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a00000...ames/1024x512/

it appears to be a directory of cloud patterns in a simulation of earth. So you may be able to use these to wrap onto a globe. Since Nasa.gov stuff is all public domain, check but, you can probably use these images as part of a bit of artwork.

Wrapping a bitmap over a globe digitally is not too hard. Blender is the usual tool of choice but I am sure that any decent world generating bit of software will be able to do that too. I suspect that Wilbur can do it somehow as well. Oh yes and as John has said above, Celestia can also probably do that too.

Blog Entries

here is one model
    https://csdms.colorado.edu/wiki/Model:GISS_AOM
    it is a Atmosphere-Ocean Model

but the learning curve to use it will be VERY steep
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Member

Thanks, folks!