Thread: City map for ttrpg

Default City map for ttrpg

I'd like to commission a city map for my D&D campaign.

Subject: I want a map for the capital city of the kingdom. The kingdom is about the size of England. The capital is a walled city that has extended beyond its walls. The city is in the hills with higher elevation to the east, there is a river flowing from east to west in the south, and three main roads entering the city (one from south, west, and north). The three roads intersect at a main plaza with a white obelisk in the center (10-15 ft tall). There is a large cathedral next to the main plaza.
    Some other ideas that I'm open to suggestions on: the king's castle and estates of some nobles are at higher elevation in the east, there would be a few market squares, a monastery, other smaller temples, and the estates of more minor nobles throughout the city. The scale would be something like 1 inch = 800 feet (which I think would make a good sized city print on a standard sheet of paper). Here's a link to my aborted attempt so far: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GMN...ew?usp=sharing

Style: I do not need a lot of detail. Individual buildings are not necessary (but that would be cool). More top down than isometric. More detail than I can get with Watabou's random generator (https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator).

Quality: Something I can both print and use in a VTT.

Time: Not a rush. Maybe a week or so? Two weeks?

Copyright: I see this as a work for hire (I will have the right to reproduce, modify (add labels), and use the image for commercial purposes (because maybe someday I'll try to publish this campaign). The artist will receive attribution in any published work (which is a long way off, if ever) and have the right to exhibit the image as part of his/her portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

I have never hired an artist before so please forgive any ambiguity and let me know if I left out anything that would be helpful. If you're interested, please send me an email with an example of a prior city map, your timeframe, and proposed price.

Thanks!

Guild Journeyer

Hello, I've sent you an email! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kregk View Post
    Time: Not a rush. Maybe a week or so? Two weeks?
    That is what we would describe around here as "a rush".

I would consider a city with several detailed buildings in a month to be a rush. That's going to take 40-80 hours on the light end, which is why 1-2 weeks is "a rush" since it will require all of your full time work. For many of our best artists that's going to be more like 100-120 hours, making it all of your waking hours for those 1-2 weeks.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    That is what we would describe around here as "a rush".
    Thanks for the feedback. I've never done this before, as you can tell.
    With that in mind, I would either extend the deadline (because there really isn't a pressing timeline anyway), or would it help to clarify/amend the level of detail? I'm not looking for individual buildings, but maybe just outlines of districts?

Yes, Tiana speaks the truth. For what you are looking for a week or two is absolutely a rush, if even possible (most of us have "real world" jobs and do cartography on our own time).

Quote Originally Posted by Kregk View Post
    Copyright: I see this as a work for hire (I will have the right to reproduce, modify (add labels), and use the image for commercial purposes (because maybe someday I'll try to publish this campaign). The artist will receive attribution in any published work (which is a long way off, if ever) and have the right to exhibit the image as part of his/her portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.
    Others have addressed the issue with your idea of how quickly such a job may be done, but I would like to advise you that "maybe someday" is really not a good reason to ask for all rights. If you aren't dealing with a sucker, this is going to drive the cost well up from a D&D map for game use price. Expect to be charged as if you were publishing now, since that's what you're asking for the rights for. Even if you do decide to publish the setting at some point, the chances that you'll simply be able to use a map that you have made now is quite low. There will be additions and modifications as you learn the city better in play. You may even develop an entirely different idea of the style of map you want. The time to shell out for full publication rights is when you're actually looking to publish.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Even if you do decide to publish the setting at some point, the chances that you'll simply be able to use a map that you have made now is quite low.
    You have made some very good points, thank you. At least I now have a better idea of what to ask for and what to expect. I'll probably edit the request.