Thread: New Member and City Map

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

Map New Member and City Map

Hello everyone! I'm new here and want to share this city map I recently finished. I don't have plans for how to use it, but it was fun to make. Everything was hand drawn in Photoshop (well, except for the Celtic knot-work -- that is a typeface).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Ruthienta.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	708.2 KB 
ID:	131217

I like the composition! Looks like a naturally flowing city. I love how you kept the line work toned down, letting the shading take the visual forefront. Great work, and welcome to the guild.

IR

This is looking great, I really like the city layout. The only knit pick I would have is that the docks down the bottom are maybe a bit out of scale with the rest of the city, but that's very minor.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really great map! I agree with Wminish about the docks but everything else is superb. Welcome to the guild as well!

Thank you! I was trying to work on the flow of the city and the feel of something that had expanded over time. And that's a good point about the docks... to be honest I sort of forgot about "needing docks" until the very end of the linework stage. So they ended up a bit haphazard.

You've definitely captured that look of the city having expanded over time, that's probably the most compelling feature of the layout. Having a story in your head of how a city has grown over time and showing that on the page is a great way to make a city feel real and grounded.

Looking back at this post I was having a bit more of a think about it and realised that the most logical place for the docks is actually up the river bank through the oldest sections of the city as the docks would have been built at the same time as these sections. In a medieval-like fantasy world, the only way a city would grow to this size would be if it was a trade hub and at this time (and still today actually) ships are the most efficient way to transport large volumes of goods. If the first bridge was removed and the river widened a bit up to the point where the second bridge is, docks could be put along the sides. the city could either have very high bridges to allow large ships to navigate upriver or the docks could be a point where goods are transferred to and from riverboats to allow movement up the river.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Thank you so much -- that's going to be very helpful to think about when I make my next city map!

It looks pretty professional. It looks like it was drawn in Procreate or Wonderdraft. It is a good city map.
    View my website and Instagram