Thread: Geographically Correct Navy Service Cruise Map From the 1940s

Post Geographically Correct Navy Service Cruise Map From the 1940s

What am I looking for

I am looking for a map or multiple maps up to three. For a gift as part of a extensive research project on my grandfathers service in the US Navy in the 1940s. Specifically I would like to map all of the places that he went during his time in the Navy, including combat which his ship was involved in and other notable events. I intend for these to be framed and hung.

I am attaching rough sketches that show his journeys in the atlantic and pacific including major events and places visited that I have created. My expectation is for the finished product to be based off of these sketches. As needed there is a full set of data to back up these sketches this includes a GPX/GPS file that can be fully mapped. I already have a list of the places visited, major events and combat. For major events and combat I have the date time and location it occurred at.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlantic & S. N. America Edit s.gif 
Views:	45 
Size:	5.70 MB 
ID:	131278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Langley Pacific s.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	131279

Design / Style

What I would like is a geographically correct map or maps with the basic states and nations. Cities, Ports & Islands visited. I have a preference for it to visually lend itself to a nautical, topographic and historical style of map, key emphasis on it feeling like but not having to be a nautical or topographic map. I am also very much looking for advice or suggestions in this area. Attached are a few examples of cruise maps to see how they would have been done in WW2, using these just to display how the ships were tracked, less focused on the style of map. Some of the have elements added that add character, such as silhouette of ships, nicely formatted list of places, etc I would be interested in incorporating some of those. I have other examples that could be shared as well.

I am also including two maps, to show the general feel or style I might like. I am open to other suggestions based on your personal work and experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map ideas.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	131280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map ideas 18.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	131281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-155285242-2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	131282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_of_Oceania_and_Pacific_Ocean._Wellcome_M0005004.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	131284

Quality & Size

Should be able to print at sizes up to roughly 18 inches x 18 inches, to have it framed. This will be a personal gift and only used personally. As needed I am willing to make this up to three maps to best fit both the level of detail and printing size constraints.

Time Constraints

Would like to have this to give as a gift at christmas 2021, but if this is a unreasonable timeline I am open to longer timelines.

Payment

Paypal would be preferred. As I do not know the exact level of difficult or time required to complete something like this please contact me to discuss estimated cost and rates.

Copyright

I am not interested in the copyright except to be able to share them with my family.

Contact Details

As I am an new poster with potentially crazy ideas I can't pm yet. Please contact me at the following email address, please note to include the + symbol in the actual email.
    aop2717+map (at) gmail (dot) com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oceania-map.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	131283  

Guild Journeyer

Hi, my name is Endi and would love to join your project! You can check out my work at:

IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/

FB: https://m.facebook.com/Strigunart/?t...&source=result

If you're interested you can contact me via email: endi.oblak93@gmail.com

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Hi there, this really looks like something I'd enjoy making. I'm an experienced cartographer with various commissions under my belt as well as awards on this site for my work. You can check out my commission page at www.worldofelyden.com/commissions and some more example maps at www.worldofelyden.com/atlas and can contact me on the form on that page, or directly at info@worldofelyden.com

Regards,
    Nate