Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Aisling Sea

Map The Aisling Sea

While it has been a while since I've really been here, I've not been idle. I missed it! So I want to share a map I've made for the author Vanessa Rasanen and her book 'On These Black Sands'. It was a real breakthrough for me when it comes to depth and style. I hope you like it!

Tools used:
    Procreate
    Affinity Designer
    Photoshop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aisling Sea.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	131445

Borders are awesome!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I agree with narwen. The shading around the mountain foothills also turned out really well.

Such depth to that terrain, wow! I love the perspective of the compass rose as well.

All around wonderful.

IR

This is such a fantastic looking map! The shading is beautiful and drawings near the frame are so cool.

Will you add color eventually or keep it sepia?

Praise

Such an awesome map! The tiny details really bring the entire piece together. Very sleek!

Really lovely, Gerralt ! I love the contrasts and the feeling of a constant motion due to the scrollwork

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    While it has been a while since I've really been here, I've not been idle. I missed it! So I want to share a map I've made for the author Vanessa Rasanen and her book 'On These Black Sands'. It was a real breakthrough for me when it comes to depth and style. I hope you like it!

Tools used:
    Procreate
    Affinity Designer
    Photoshop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aisling Sea.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	131445
    This is a great map , I love the detailed frame!

beautiful. your maps just keep getting better and better
    that frame is wonderful... but the compass is my favorite part, I love how it is on the same plane at the landscape, rather than a flat circle 'plunked on' the 'surface'

Quote Originally Posted by Narwen View Post
    Borders are awesome!
    Thank you Narwen! When there are pirates, sirens or pocket watches to draw I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I agree with narwen. The shading around the mountain foothills also turned out really well.
    Thanks! And yes! Something clicked when I made this map when it came to depth I'm glad you noticed 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Such depth to that terrain, wow! I love the perspective of the compass rose as well.

All around wonderful.

IR
    Thank you! The isometric compass rose was an idea I think I stole from John Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Noenoer View Post
    This is such a fantastic looking map! The shading is beautiful and drawings near the frame are so cool.

Will you add color eventually or keep it sepia?
    Thanks Noenoer No.. Color would be awesome but to be honest.. I would not dare putting color on this one.. I'm so afraid to mess up the values.. Color is still so daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by SMoresRUs View Post
    Such an awesome map! The tiny details really bring the entire piece together. Very sleek!
    Thanks Mores! 1 hour lining the coastline and mountains and 40 hours of details, details and some more details. 62000 brush strokes were made.. 😅

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Really lovely, Gerralt ! I love the contrasts and the feeling of a constant motion due to the scrollwork
    Thank you Bee! I've looked closely at the subtle value changes you use in sepia maps so thank you! Yeah, I went a bit overboard with the scrollwork but I learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    This is a great map , I love the detailed frame!
    Thank you Naima!

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    beautiful. your maps just keep getting better and better
    that frame is wonderful... but the compass is my favorite part, I love how it is on the same plane at the landscape, rather than a flat circle 'plunked on' the 'surface'
    Yes! I love playing with perspective. It gives a lot of headaches though. I just stared for hours to wrap my head around the orienting lines. And afterwards I saw I messed up a bit.. But it really works overall so I'm okay with a little error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast