Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiders of the Serpent Sea

Map Raiders of the Serpent Sea

Earlier this year I did some work for another campaign setting with Arcanum Worlds, this time for a viking setting.
    They were interesting and challenging pieces. The main region map was done as a 4-page poster, and a 2-page alternate for the book.
    There was a city made of longboats, called Drifthall, where the clans meet out in the sea.
    There was also a sort of inn/tavern, with two floors.

We did a few others that will be in the campaign book. We may do more. It's in kickstarter right now and if it does well enough, there will be more maps.
    I'll post a link to the free player's guide too. Go grab that. It looks great.

Grimnir region map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grimnir 2-page spread [final] mid.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	131745

I'll post the other maps in a second post so the thumbnail scraper doesn't get confused.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-03-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Obviously all of them are candy for the eyes, but I really like the ships one (Drifthall). Quite unique and original idea.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

You're really pushing the limits with these, good work, John.

IR

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

The drift hall is a really unique idea and the fjords have come out really well. I may need to steal some inspiration from them for future fjords I do! I think my favorite part though is the icebergs. I love how you can see them beneath the water.

The Grimnir map must have killed your hands but the result is a perfect call to an ominous adventure. Well done my friend ! Also, the cluster of ship would be a perfect party setup and it is a nice reinvention of city maps. You are and remain the boss

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Obviously all of them are candy for the eyes, but I really like the ships one (Drifthall). Quite unique and original idea.
    Thanks Voolf Drifthall was the first one done for the project and set the tone.
    Initially it wasn't a sure thing what style we would aim for. It could have gone more in the Odyssey direction.
    As I worked on Drifthall, it just seemed like it should be stronger color, at least darker and more saturated, to convey some of the tone of the world and story being told.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    You're really pushing the limits with these, good work, John.

IR
    Thanks Adfor
    Clients can play a big role in that. Some clients want a really specific thing, like a past map. Other clients push me to create new things.
    Sometimes the project itself pushes my parameters. I sometimes choose to work on one project versus another based on whether it is fun and/or challenging.
    Some projects are just not as interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    The drift hall is a really unique idea and the fjords have come out really well. I may need to steal some inspiration from them for future fjords I do! I think my favorite part though is the icebergs. I love how you can see them beneath the water.
    I really enjoyed working on that cold sea water and the icebergs. It's so pleasing to show things above and then below water.
    I do enjoy the process of rendering things, at times. Not all the time.

The coast lines were daunting. I would not want to have to do that all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The Grimnir map must have killed your hands but the result is a perfect call to an ominous adventure. Well done my friend ! Also, the cluster of ship would be a perfect party setup and it is a nice reinvention of city maps. You are and remain the boss
    It certainly did not help my hands ;P
    I am hoping it does really well. Brent has put a lot into it. And it just funded on KS, so I'll be getting into some more maps soon.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm with Arimel, the icebergs in that map immediately caught my eye. Very convincing. I do love Drifthall though, especially how the council circle is slightly below sea level - convenient if you want to do away with a bunch of politicians...

I was wondering who did the main map. I did some of the battlemaps.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Great work John, the coastline is so detailed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast