Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December Challenge - Collaborative Map***

Didn't expect to see my suggestion get picked up, I'd actually forgotten I'd made it. Really interested to see what maps come out of this challenge!

Some ways to do this:
    Relay style (one works on the map for half the month, hands it off to the other to finish): could be done pencils then inks, drawing then color, left side then right side, general mapping then prettying up.
    Component/Arrangement split: one partner makes a slew of assets and the other put them into a map. Probably can't do a huge icon/brush set in time, but enough to make a map.
    Map/Adornment split: one partner does the actual map part, the other does border, decorative details, etc.
    Sectional split: regional/city is one way to split out the map into a larger area and a more detailed area (or several more detailed areas)
    By level/floor: Mapping a dungeon or building, each partner could take half the floors.
    I go, you go: Each partner keeps the map for a day, working on it and then sending it to the other partner. This one almost requires matching software (or living nearby for traditional media, but it'd be a huge stroke of luck to manage that).
    Split Mood: Maybe one partner maps the regions controlled by the Empire, while the other maps the areas still independent. Maybe one partner maps the magical regions and the other mundane areas. Maybe one partner maps the high-tech colonial holdings and the other the native-control lands. Maybe one maps the mansion and the other the secret caverns beneath it. In any case, this method is to deliberately harness the inevitable stylistic differences to distinguish differing map areas and give them contrasting feels.
    Map/labels: Some maps have a ton of labeling to do. It wouldn't be insane in those cases to just split the work into image and text.

What other approaches can we think of?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    What other approaches can we think of?
    Could also do a map that is literally split down the middle with one person does each half based on an agreed upon basic land shape or city plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Papierkriegerin View Post
    @Marcoline: would you feel up for the city part? I'd leave a part open for it in my part and edit it in digitally afterwards. Generally I work traditionally too (as you know)
    Yeah, i can make the city part. Lets do it.

This sounds fun

I'm primarily a region/world mapper, I could make the region/world and the other could do the details(icons, roads, labels, other finishing details)

I'm using
    GIMP
    Wilbur

I have but don't use(yet)
    Fractal terrains
    CC3+

if anyone would like to team up and do the detailed work let me know.

I have tried to send PMs but I can’t see whether they have actually reached you. Can you send me an alternative way to privately communicate? Or just contact me on discord? It’s Zora Springer(Hashtag)2440 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Papierkriegerin View Post
    I have tried to send PMs but I can’t see whether they have actually reached you. Can you send me an alternative way to privately communicate? Or just contact me on discord? It’s Zora Springer(Hashtag)2440 there.
    I receive your PMs and answer there. But im also add you on discord.

Maybe this is a challenge that should have a longer deadline, just because it's already a week in and people are only still pairing up.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Maybe this is a challenge that should have a longer deadline, just because it's already a week in and people are only still pairing up.
    I'm totally in with this. More weeks might help!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Yeah, more time would allow more people to take part, and will definitely produce better maps if no one has to really rush
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast