Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***November/December Challenge - Collaborative Map***

Default ***November/December Challenge - Collaborative Map***

If you've ever wanted to team up with another Guild member to create a map, now's your chance; this months challenge involves Guild members working together in pairs to do just that. This idea was initially suggested by QED42, "...one person works on a map for the first two weeks of the challenge then hands it off to a second person to finish." That's one way to do it. Another might be for one person to draw an overland map which will feature as an insert in a town map drawn by another person. Or maybe the team decides to do a world map with half of the continents drawn by one partner and the rest drawn by the other. Those are just a few ideas of how this might work and are meant to be illustrative rather than prescriptive. Feel free to be creative as to how this collaboration will work. The only real restraint is that the deliverable must be a single unified map.

Here's how this will work:
    • First, find a partner. Feel free to PM other Guild members who you would like to work with, and/or indicate in a post below that you are looking for a partner so others can PM you;
    • Second, once you have a partner, indicate this in a post below so everyone knows who the teams are;
    • Create your map! Be sure to list the screen names of both contributors in the title of the thread. Both of you will upload your own work in progress images to this thread.

UPDATE: The competition shall end on or around late in the evening of the last day of the year (December 31st) and the winner shall receive the treat of a shiny new golden compass. As always, please remember to follow these rules:

Title your thread: November/December 2021 Challenge: <<your title and screen names of contributors here>>
    Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image
    Only maps begun on or after today are eligible to be entered into the challenge (no prior work allowed)
    Last edited by arsheesh; 11-11-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Photoshop mapmaker here. Anyone want to team up?

About the rules: are we allowed to agree on something or shall we make the part one of the map pretty secret?

There's no limit about creativity i assume.. so the second person can finish the map, or re-arrange the map, or integrate the map inside a different layout?
    I assume it's up to the participants...

Oh well! Sounds fun!

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    About the rules: are we allowed to agree on something or shall we make the part one of the map pretty secret?

There's no limit about creativity i assume.. so the second person can finish the map, or re-arrange the map, or integrate the map inside a different layout?
    I assume it's up to the participants...
    Yup, if that's what you guys want to do, though remember this has to be a "unified" map. So as long as the second calibrator can figure out how to do that it's all good.

Well, I don't have Photoshop. I supposed it'd be easier for me to partner up with someone using GIMP or Krita, but it wouldn't be impossible to work between programs, at least with some planning and a "pass the torch" mid-month approach. Heck, one person could do a traditional media map and send it to someone else to scan and augment digitally. But it's definitely simplest if folks are using the same program(s).

Im a beginner hand draw map maker. So, if anyone want to join in, im here.

I think in this case is better to split a map region or one made a region and another a city.

@Marcoline: would you feel up for the city part? I'd leave a part open for it in my part and edit it in digitally afterwards. Generally I work traditionally too (as you know)

City map probably works best since it makes the style differences less obvious.

Also... If you have a specific place you'd like mapped we can do that.
    Last edited by Papierkriegerin; 11-05-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Well, I don't have Photoshop. I supposed it'd be easier for me to partner up with someone using GIMP or Krita, but it wouldn't be impossible to work between programs, at least with some planning and a "pass the torch" mid-month approach. Heck, one person could do a traditional media map and send it to someone else to scan and augment digitally. But it's definitely simplest if folks are using the same program(s).
    Yeah, I think that this diversity is part of the challenge. i mean. Using different software and resources should be part of the challenge!

-

Maybe just my first thought was to team up with someone with a similar workflow/asset. But thinking about it twice... Feels like my mind wants to play safe lol.
    It's clear I don't have a print or a scanner and for me would be tricky to provide a good quality source for my partner. So thought immediately of the software base lol. Tiny me.

I have NO CLUE how I could split a map with someone and I am curious to join a similar challenge. Seriously NO CLUE ��
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Well the other way is for one to do the line art and the other to do the coloring?

Well, I do personally feel bad to "continue" or "complete" someone else's work. But maybe this is just my "policy" lol.
    I always feel like this, maybe because I wouldn't like someone else to take and shape my stuff. It's something I need to work on. Or also because I feel like I can't add any value? IDK. as said...maybe it's just me.

I have my own vision of how a similar collaboration should go, Btw. I really envision the artwork to be a collective piece of art. And...Actually, I did contact someone I follow and like artistically. Hoping this is going to work. #prettyexcited Let's see if we can claim it as a collaboration in this challenge. *crossing my fingers*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast