Quote Originally Posted by antillies View Post
This is something I've actually been working on since 2019, in bits and spurts. The hardest part for me has been - and the stage that I've been stuck on - is how to generate currents. Most of the approaches I've tried are generalized and simplified (I'm not looking to make the tool overly robust in this particular area) but it seems I always run into exceptions that prevent my solutions from working. For example, I don't have any trouble placing the equatorial currents and "tracing" generally where the split currents go once the equatorials reach the coast, but in the instance of the current that travels south on the eastern coast of South America, I don't know how to make it split to both continue on eastward (towards Australia) and veer northward toward the western coast of Africa.

Naima, waldronate, Azelor, and Charerg: If any of you (or anyone, really) would have suggestions for a generalized approach to place currents, I would very much appreciate any input.

I have most things figured out well enough that if I can get this part of my tool implemented, I should be able to move quickly through the rest. Ultimately, I'd like the tool (which is currently nameless) to be able to take a very limited set of inputs from the user (including a monochrome land and ocean map) and return a map that is marked with climates, similar to the end results in Azelor's Köppen–Geiger thread.

This is something that's been rolling around in my head for such a long time I'd love to make a breakthrough on it.
are you programming in c++? have you made vectors over the sphere surface that slowly turn toward a common direction based on the distance from center of the sphere?