Thread: the Sea of Lethea

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default the Sea of Lethea

Here's the latest Atlas Elyden map - I finally get to post this one, which has been in the making for the past year-or-so. This is a map of the Sea of Lethea and the Poryphyri Peninsula, which collects the geographies of the last dozen maps that I made. I'm actually very pleased with the result of this one, from the overall shape of the landmass, to the cartouche, and the work it took to get the projection looking just right.

Though not quite as big or detailed as my map of the Inner Sea, which was a real labour to get finished (it basically involved redoing all the constituent maps from scratch, including all the labels, and the topography, which is not something I'm looking forward to doing any time again soon, but which I might get back to some-day.

You can check out the individual maps that make up this map here

The atlas key/legend to the maps can be found here.

Most of the work is done in Photoshop. A tutorial for my method can be found here.

THE SEA OF LETHEA

Known classically as the Hidden Sea, this large body of water lies in the east of the continent of Sammaea. It is largely enclosed by land and leads to the Mymerean Ocean via the sea of Erenea.

Its waters are famed for their amnesic qualities, with the exact effects and potency varying by region. These effects are most pronounced in the east and south-west, along the coastlines of Porphyr, Sabaisa, and Ananthul; and Zhariah, Abacardat, and Jahadat, respectively. This makes it difficult for coastal settlements to grow large, though some have made an industry of distilling the waters of the Lethea into an amnesiac drug known as leth.

It was famously explored and documented by the Zioni explorer Navah Berden, who died in Sarashan (now Porphyr) in 615 RM. His crew continued the circumnavigation of the sea, reaching the cliffs of Berden in 793RM, which were later named after him.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lethea low-res.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	7.51 MB 
ID:	132079
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 12-10-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Another map! Yah! I've missed your atlas style and the detail is as amazing as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Another map! Yah! I've missed your atlas style and the detail is as amazing as always!
    thanks for the kind words - to be honest I have been making maps pretty regularly though often forget to post them here you can check out my instagram (www.instagram.com/world_of_elyden) for more regular updates

Yup, count me as one of the amazed followers on instagram! This is so… real? A page torn from an old atlas. I love it. Do you work in vector or raster?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    Yup, count me as one of the amazed followers on instagram! This is so… real? A page torn from an old atlas. I love it. Do you work in vector or raster?
    thanks

I personally use raster as I like pixels and the grainy look of the results givn that these are meant to be in-world maps. but if I were making alt history maps of the present day rather than fantasy maps, id definitely use vector as the results are a lot crisper.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ooh, I like this one, especially the lore about the amnesiac waters.

Oh BTW, you left a 'lorem ipsum' in the water just west of Okkham.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Ooh, I like this one, especially the lore about the amnesiac waters.

Oh BTW, you left a 'lorem ipsum' in the water just west of Okkham.
    someone else pointed that out previously and i updated the file everywhere else and forgot to update the one here - fixed it now, thanks

Looks great as usual!