Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time

Default The Wheel of Time

I love epic fantasy. Years ago I was introduced to the Wheel of Time when the books still came out. I never got so far as reading them though.. There were too many books..! But last year I took a deep breath and dove into the world Robert Jordan created. It was a bumpy ride. I got so mad at the characters sometimes that I forgot to realize what a beautiful and intricate world the books created on the pages. But I managed to plow through the 14 books and got rewarded in the end when Brandon Sanderson took over. In hindsight it was amazing. And now the Wheel of Time has arrived on screen!

So I wanted to take some time off commissions and make a map of the Westlands. I hoped to finish it in a month but that.. is not going to happen.. The world is so big..! And I keep on adding stuff that was omitted in the original maps. Since I might be on this for a while I might as well start a WIP.

First, the sketch and labels! I love to start with the labels after the sketch because they are a real pain to put in after drawing the landscape. So now I cheat and work around them.. Anyone else do that? I have worked a long time on the border.. but I am still not happy with the sketch so it might turn out totally different! In the border I want magic, the weave, the wheel, the Aes Sedai, icons for all the major characters and sigils of nations… Way too much information for a border but I didn’t know what to cut so I started the map. We’ll see where we end up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4041267E-B058-44E1-9BB8-375801BC7EE0.jpeg 
Views:	513 
Size:	8.30 MB 
ID:	131951

It took me a long time working with different brushes and styles to find something I liked. For the mountain style I am heavily leaning on mr Sir Inkman, John Stevenson for he has the best mountains ever. John.. I hope you don’t mind me adopting this. The city icons mostly are inspired by the Hogenberg and Braum maps. I’m still fidgeting with color and shade but made a start.

Name:	19F6FB44-2A09-4062-A901-61A842323FFD.jpeg 
Views:	509 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	131952

So here is my latest WIP! It is a screenshot as there is not much to see beyond this. It is just the lining and it is taking forever. I’m still enjoying it but oh.. so many labels, rivers, towns, cities.. I’ve never done a map on this scale before..! I hope this does not become a nemesis..

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	3F5E09AC-1DF8-49DF-ABD3-548C744B573E.jpeg 
Views:	445 
Size:	6.07 MB 
ID:	131953

Edit: feel free to give advice or critique! Since I’m not working for a commissioner it is easy to get a blind spot for mistakes/dubious choices.
    Last edited by Dimension Door; 11-25-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Very nice, what techniuqe are you using to color it?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Awesome! Very commendable undertaking. I wish you good speed on the adventure.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Keep on keepin' on, it's beautiful so far!

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Very nice, what techniuqe are you using to color it?
    Hey Naima! I saw you asked that also on the Verdant Isles map. I’ll try to explain my process. I use procreate and have the following layers (First one being on the top and the last one on the bottom)

Highlights (Add)
    Shading details (Hard Light)
    Sepia Texture (Multiply opacity around 40%)
    Linework (Normal)
    Shading (Hard Light)
    Color Illustrations (Normal)
    Color Land (Normal)
    Color Water (Normal)

This is my palette. It mainly uses warm yellows. The forest color will be changed to something darker but I didn’t get to that stage yet.

Name:	9CDDCD03-13B9-4C04-94DE-447A271E259D.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	131962

I hope this helps!

Oh, I made an animated gif of the different layers. Let’s see if this works

Name:	DC8549C6-3426-4CCC-8724-2DF1C38F7833.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	131963

yes! Well, this is as thorough as I can be 😅

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Awesome! Very commendable undertaking. I wish you good speed on the adventure.
    Thank you! I will try to find as many adventures as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Keep on keepin' on, it's beautiful so far!

IR
    Yes! Thanks for the heads up, I will get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    Hey Naima! I saw you asked that also on the Verdant Isles map. I’ll try to explain my process. I use procreate and have the following layers (First one being on the top and the last one on the bottom)

Highlights (Add)
    Shading details (Hard Light)
    Sepia Texture (Multiply opacity around 40%)
    Linework (Normal)
    Shading (Hard Light)
    Color Illustrations (Normal)
    Color Land (Normal)
    Color Water (Normal)

This is my palette. It mainly uses warm yellows. The forest color will be changed to something darker but I didn’t get to that stage yet.

Name:	9CDDCD03-13B9-4C04-94DE-447A271E259D.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	131962

I hope this helps!

Oh, I made an animated gif of the different layers. Let’s see if this works

Name:	DC8549C6-3426-4CCC-8724-2DF1C38F7833.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	131963

yes! Well, this is as thorough as I can be ��

Thank you! I will try to find as many adventures as possible

Yes! Thanks for the heads up, I will get there!
    O wow , thankyou , I thought u did in paper and pencils , it looks very good thankyou for the explanation .

Beautiful map, I have no critiques but I'm excited to see the final version!!

Thanks so much for showing your process in Procreate! I tend to use the same workflow digitally as I would with traditional painting and always forget to use layers and different layer settings to my advantage. Seeing how others work with layers helps a lot!

The map looks amazing! Although the colouring looks beautiful I really like the linework alone as well.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is fantastic and is already light years ahead of any other WoT maps I've seen. It's gonna be a thing of beauty when finished - heck, it already is.

Woahhh...that's one awesome map-style* you have there. Love it! I mean the b/w one is already quite beautiful, to be honest....but the color-version...wow! As a fan of the world of the WoT, I approve! (and I mean fan of the books and the world "painted" in there...the amazon series, not so much)

* reminds me a lot of JEdwards' signature style, which of course is to say it's artistic and just all around awesome
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast