Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Europa 1920

Praise

Love how the art style of this map recalls the style of so many maps from the early 20th century. (I just stopped into an antique map shop a few weeks ago, and several of the maps from the late 1800s and early 1900s were visually similar to this one.) The coloring and lettering are beautiful, and I appreciate how each nation has its name given in its native tongue.

(Plus I'm a sucker for alternate history, so the new timeline with the steampunk undertones really hits the spot!)

How did you come up with this idea?

Hot damn, that border is out of this world!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous_Seamus View Post
    Love how the art style of this map recalls the style of so many maps from the early 20th century. (I just stopped into an antique map shop a few weeks ago, and several of the maps from the late 1800s and early 1900s were visually similar to this one.) The coloring and lettering are beautiful, and I appreciate how each nation has its name given in its native tongue.

(Plus I'm a sucker for alternate history, so the new timeline with the steampunk undertones really hits the spot!)

How did you come up with this idea?
    Thank you very much for the kind words! Well, the main inspirations are Jules Verne books, and a belgium comics by François Schuiten and Benoît Peeters: Les cités obscures.
    My first Idea was to draw a map of Europe in a steampunk alternative history, with some "art nouveau" elements.

Then I draw each new country one by one, creating the history as things progressed.

The result is not exactly like I imagined at first, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Hot damn, that border is out of this world!
    Thank you very much Kellerica!

Impressive ! This one looks like a true labour of love and an impressive achievement.

Working on paper is a whole different world, and you managed to do something truly inspiring.

The setting is quite interesting, and the execution flawless !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine.L View Post
    Thank you very much for the kind words! Well, the main inspirations are Jules Verne books, and a belgium comics by François Schuiten and Benoît Peeters: Les cités obscures.
    My first Idea was to draw a map of Europe in a steampunk alternative history, with some "art nouveau" elements.

Then I draw each new country one by one, creating the history as things progressed.

The result is not exactly like I imagined at first, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    Very cool! Gotta love Verne: everything so clunky yet simultaneously sleek and brassy. I've never heard of Les cités obscures, but now you've piqued my interest.

I love that you worked out the history as you were making the map. That sounds like a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing this with the community!

This is spectacular! I love the concept, design and render.
    Colors are well done and the frame is exquisite .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12