Thread: Mosaic Map

Wip Mosaic Map

A few years ago I was experimenting with making mosaic maps, but I was never satisfied with the results.

Recently I've been playing around with Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator. I made the base map there before importing it into Photoshop, and then I played around with it a lot more.

I'm a crap artist, but using this technique has let me create a map that I'm quite happy with.

I imagine the actual map is about 10 foot high and 20 feet long, and is inlaid into the wall of a throne-room or council chamber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aegira-50.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	7.68 MB 
ID:	132616

That's a cool idea! And the map does look pretty nice. The tiling of the texture is quite obvious when zoomed out, but at a 100% the whole looks good. I really like the idea of a mosaic map, I'll need to keep that in mind...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is really well done sir

From the font you used for the headline, I guess you plan something like a ancient greece like scenario. A mosaic is a really cool idea, if that`s the case.

Thanks for the comments.

The tiling of the texture is a bit too obvious. I'll have to fix that. I rarely looked at the map fully zoomed out, so I never really noticed how bad it was.

I was imagining something like an ancient Greek setting. I was going to use a more Greek-looking font; it looked good but it was a bit of a struggle to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Kadmon View Post

I was imagining something like an ancient Greek setting. I was going to use a more Greek-looking font; it looked good but it was a bit of a struggle to read.
    MAybe try to put the writing on inlaid stones too? Or work more with stones with symbols engraved/painted on them? If it`s supposed to represent a wall somewhere, this could also be the way they mark places there.