Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Wheel of Time - the Westlands in the Third Age

It is done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A7E9AA7-59BD-4AFD-99DA-F1FC398F62FD.jpeg 
Views:	2273 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	132221

The world of the Wheel of Time created by Robert Jordan is full of lore, stories and places. In an act of inspiration and stupidity I paused my commission work for one month and started creating this map. Since the original maps only show a limited amount of locations I wanted to make a map featuring almost all of the locations mentioned in the books so when you read it it will help you understand the world better.

So I started sketching, reading, taking notes, research, and then everything again. After a month I only had an outline and some linework. So another month added to the schedule, onwards! I shared a draft of the map on Reddit for critique and got an amazing response from the community. Which resulted in a list of more than 50 things that needed to be changed, altered or added. Again onward!

But after a few ‘onwards!’ later it’s done. I don’t think I’ll ever do a behemoth of a map like this again soon but boy, it was worth it! more than 200.000 brushstrokes later (222.924 to be exact, procreate is watching me..) I’ve learned a lot about my process and hope this helps speed things up in the future. I didn’t hold back on this map. If I didn’t like something I’d erase or changed it. I hope for the best!

I have made a WIP thread here if you’re interested in the process.

This is the full resolution map with shading:

Name:	A2A3C26A-5781-499E-A0B0-C2ACF59A806D.jpeg 
Views:	619 
Size:	6.14 MB 
ID:	132295

And this is a printer friendly full resolution map:

Name:	62EC0EA3-D4EA-45F4-937C-6A33DAC61A9E.jpeg 
Views:	438 
Size:	6.32 MB 
ID:	132296

Edit: I’m a wool headed idiot. I accidentally uploaded the wrong images. These still show up as thumbnails. Does anyone know how to remove these?
    Edit: Fixed it, thanks Redrobes!
    Last edited by Dimension Door; 01-02-2022 at 05:24 AM.