Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

Hello everyone.

My name is Aaron and I'm a cartographer by trade. Most maps I make are of real places using real data, but I've dabbled in fantasy maps a bit and do hope to get into them a bit more one day. I'm also currently a volunteer editor for the Atlas of Design, which is part of the reason I'm here. We are currently accepting submissions for our next volume, and I believe we've featured a couple of maps from this community in the past -- so I wanted touch base here to make sure folks were aware again. What would be the best place to post something like that for those who may be interested in submitting? The General Discussion forum, perhaps?

-Aaron

Blog Entries

Hello Aaron, welcome to the guild. We don't have very many cartographers here who do it as a day job. Some of the people here have done a lot of commissions such that it has become a significant side project and have done some popular books.

Your book sounds like something that many on this forum would be interested in buying and partaking in. I would post in the general map making forum rather than general discussion. The latter is for off topic stuff that wont clutter up the rest of the forums.

Every year around this time we have a round up of the previous years work and we all vote for what will be the best maps of 2021. We call these the Atlas Awards and if you win you get a token on your profile as a golden globe. So you can look at the best of 2020 from the front page or wait a couple of weeks and see the best of 2021. We have the finished maps forum which is where people post finished maps after having the more extensive work in progress posts with all of the progress images and discussion.

So post about your book and show us some photos of them and what kind of maps your looking for, what sort of terms and conditions and monetary exchanges etc and I am sure that people will get in contact.

I'll mark you up as a publisher and you will have an orange title from that.

Finished maps of 2021 & 2022 so far:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/f...y=2021&ty=2022
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-22-2022 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks Redrobes,

I've made a post over in the general map making forum with more information and links for those interested. I also checked out the 2021/2022 link you posted and there are indeed some wonderful works in there that would fit right in with what the Atlas of Design is trying to highlight.

On a side note: part of our process includes a panel of judges to help narrow down the finalists for inclusion in each book. We try to assemble a well-rounded group of folks representing the very diverse corners of the mapmaking world, from government and academia to hobbyists and freelancers, and we're still seeking someone to be a volunteer judge on this volume who is from the fantasy mapmaking and/or art community. If you or any of the other moderators here would be interested, please let me know -- we'd love to have you.

-Aaron