Thread: Mimurdona

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Mimurdona

Hello !

I haven't been so faithful to the guild lately. I think this damn pandemic has really messed me up...
    I lost a lot of my motivation to draw and dream imaginary worlds, and it's very sad.
    Despite the drop in motivation, I've been trying to finish a map I started before all this upheaval, I finally succeeded (more or less) and I present it to you today.

This is the next in a series of maps of cities or regions of the world of Nossym... this world already mapped here, in which adventures written by my wife take place.

This is the city of Mimurdona, capital of Linguria, one of the 6 human kingdoms bordering the aptly named Sea of Six Kingdoms. A city that is above all a commercial centre, with its fortified port, which guarantees the safety of trade and exchange. The flourishing trade has made the fortune of great families, who have built palaces on the edge of the great basin.

Mimudrona is in competition with the great capital of Aylesdeen... whose map has yet to be drawn (it is so big that I will have to find a lot of time and motivation...)

The map has been made mostly on Procreate for Ipad, then shaded and labelled on Photoshop. I am well aware of its many flaws, but I must admit that I am already very happy to be able to present this map to you. It is badly finished, but at least I have the feeling that I managed to finish it.

I hope to find a new motivation to continue all the projects started but not finished... not easy, but isn't the important thing to try?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mimurdona_Guild.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	12.78 MB 
ID:	132471

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the balance you've struck with this map. A lot of times, I'll look at a city map and feel like it's too cramped, simply because it's so dense and runs to the edges of the page. With this one, it has room to breathe and it's nice to see its placement in the surrounding landscape. It gives the city context to be able to see it this way.

I totally hear you about losing motivation during this sh!tty pandemic. I think I've completed a total of three maps in two years. May 2022 bring a return to our mapping mojo!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like the balance you've struck with this map. A lot of times, I'll look at a city map and feel like it's too cramped, simply because it's so dense and runs to the edges of the page. With this one, it has room to breathe and it's nice to see its placement in the surrounding landscape. It gives the city context to be able to see it this way.

I totally hear you about losing motivation during this sh!tty pandemic. I think I've completed a total of three maps in two years. May 2022 bring a return to our mapping mojo!
    Thanks a lot for your kind words. I'm sad to read you feel less motivated too... I wonder why... I thought in though times, you needed to escape reality a lot more than in usual times ? Strange thing...

Another great map! I absolutely love the details you pour into your cites. The design is awesome too.
    Yeah, unfortunately being stuck inside isn't good for the human brain. Wishing you encouragement. Maybe doing some hikes in the mountains can get the inspiration flowing

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks Josiah for your kind words...
    The scale that I choose for this city is a kind of a "bastard scale"... Little enough to show all the streets and buildings and big enough to show all the surroundings... so, it's a lot of work and I had a hard time finish this one. I hope the next one won't take so much time.
    Thanks a lot for your encouragements too ! This is much welcome... though I wasn't locked in, I had to go out for the job... so it's not that... it is more the general atmosphere of rivalry, disagreement and stupid fight that weighs me down and tires me. I took long wald around my home and in the alps : it was beautiful and I made great pictures, but it wasn't enough to get me pumped up.
    I'm sure it will get better sometime... patience is a great virtue !

Motivation come and goes (the reason why I'm on too many things at once or good at nothing).

That being said, this is another wonderful city. I love the details you put in the buildings, but also in the surrounding villages and places.
    And the combination of view is still a win .

Thanks a lot, Ilanthar ! I'm glad you liked this one !