Thanks for the welcome!

I apologize, I typed up a reply yesterday but it seems my phone sent it into the abyss!

I'm very interested in Open Street Maps, but I haven't learned to use it yet. There's a lot of 'How-To's online and I haven't gotten around to reading them. I absolutely adore hand drawn maps, but my primary focus is it being educational so I do need to focus on practicality and readability over ornamentation and style. I'm fond of National Geographic's maps (although with less detail because that would be a lot of translating) and I generally think of their 'Classic' style as what a basic map "should" look like. I'm involved in the cultural revival community in Cape Breton, so my main focus is creating a map with country names, capitals, other major cities, names of oceans, etc. in order to facilitate an immersion environment for the language. I wanted it mostly for myself to put up on the wall, but since I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where the language is being taught, if everything goes really well, I'd also offer it to the local schools and institutions.

Thank you for think links you already sent my way!