Thread: "Swedish Regions" - fantasy style

Guild Novice

Default "Swedish Regions" - fantasy style

I've begun to create maps over Swedish regions in a fantasy style. The goal is to sell them as posters (50x70cm). I've printed one of them and it seems to worked out well with the proportions and colours. I've made three so far and 22 to go!

I like the idea with real areas in a fantasy style but don't know if it will sell.

Adobe Illustrator
    Mountain and wood brushes are vectorized from another cartographers Photoshop library (free resource).
    Reference map:
    Places and roads - https://minkarta.lantmateriet.se/
    Elevations - QGIS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Småland 72ppi (för sociala medier)_Rityta 1.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	132628

Oh that's such a good idea and I hope mapping all those regions goes well! I've thought about doing something like that with Estonian counties as well. I'm sure there would be people out there who'd love a cool fantasy style map of their home regions. Were all the labels readable when you printed them out? Some of them are a bit hard to read when I open the map in a tab and zoom but maybe its better when printed.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelian View Post
    Oh that's such a good idea and I hope mapping all those regions goes well! I've thought about doing something like that with Estonian counties as well. I'm sure there would be people out there who'd love a cool fantasy style map of their home regions. Were all the labels readable when you printed them out? Some of them are a bit hard to read when I open the map in a tab and zoom but maybe its better when printed.
    Maybe there should be a thread in the guild that highlight real area fantasy maps?! There is one very talented cartographer wich I follow on Instagram, "fantasyworldmaps", who does the anglosaxican counties. https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/1...=1&sts=1&shp=1

I´ll keep an eye out for your coming project It was hard to find geodata for the bounderies but i got help from a Swedish historical institution.

The labels look much better in print. I can't present a higher resolution because of the forum rules. But I should think about moving the labels that crosses the bounderies.

Maybe you and I can start to sell our maps on the cruising boats of the Baltic Sea as a tourist souvenir!

Bets of luck with that project, and I hope it is fruitful too aha! This map looks great!
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Love the style of this! So detailed, and all the little illustrations around the map are really cool too. Great work!