Thread: Planet Kaunis -- Realistic and Immersive Environment

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map Planet Kaunis -- Realistic and Immersive Environment

Hello to all,

I know this style of map probably won't appeal to some of you, nor may my strict attention to scientific detail. I'm just hoping that maybe one in a thousand viewers will see my meticulous attention to detail and connect me with a novelist, movie/RPG developer who would be interested in purchasing this conworld or commissioning me to produce similar works closer to their specifications.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask.

(By the way, total work time was 9 months.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View Main.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	132935
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View Main 2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	132936

Peter

This looks absolutely amazing! The world looks extraordinarily real without looking earth-like at all. I love the shapes of the continents---you get a real sense of tectonic activity in a way that feels thought out. The mentioning of JWST is awesome and feels very relevant. Maybe we'll actually discovery Kaunis for real in the coming years

Would love to see a higher resolution image of just the maps. Some of the smaller labels are difficult to read. I'm also curious about the tidal bulges. Would they be something that is noticeable to people on the planet? Or does it just affect the depths of the oceans?

Incredible work! I have been trying to do something with a world I am working on, showing weather patterns and surrounding solar system, but what you've done here is far far more well done and professionally polished. Personally, I'd love to see more work like this if you keep making similar maps!

I concur with morne and Turambar, this came out splendid. Would also like to see a higher res version of the map. There are a few others working on similar maps (at least as far as basic style goes) and it seems to be a growing trend. As for the scientific detail, I can't imagine anyone complaining about it and would think that there will probably be a fair number of folks that appreciate it, particularly those into modern to sci-fi settings.

Well done.

P.S. You might want to ask one of the mods to move them s to the finished maps sub-forum rather than having it in a WIP sub-forum. It may get better views/responses there.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-04-2022 at 02:33 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you morne, Turambar, and Greason Wolfe for the positive reviews!

I believe I've been much too pessimistic about this project, underrating the appeal of atlas-style maps and scientific details. Thank you for bringing me closer to reality; I didn't realize that the scientific style maps were a growing trend. I suppose the deployment of the JWT would positively contribute to this trend as well, in the coming months.

The original resolution of the image is about 13,000 by 7,000 pixels but I'm not sure how to include a link in this forum. Would someone please advise me how I might do this?

As for the gravitational effects of the tidal bulges, I don't think they'd be any more noticeable (or palpable) than our moon's tides, although they'd definitely affect large scale features such as ocean basins. Even on Earth, the moon can cause "tidal bores" on some rivers where the water actually flows uphill for a while before resuming downhill. I would assume that Kaunis has much higher tidal bores, but they never change position because the tide's position (at least that caused by Electra) is fixed. I also calculated the tide caused by Kunnia (the star), which has a period equal to Kaunis' day of 44.6 hours: 12 centimeters, which is practically nothing.

I do plan to persevere with my conworlding with some fresh ideas; my next idea is a double/triple planet system around a very young and very massive star, in case you're wondering. I wanted to perhaps experiment with a carbon planet as well.

A final question: can I submit this map to the "Finished Maps" section, or can a moderator move it there?

Again, thank you so much for the critiques and recommendations. (By the way, morne, I absolutely love your new map "Naos.")

Peter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I saw this over on r/worldbuilding and was very impressed. Great internal cohesion - the attention to detail is intimidating to someone like me who just wings it most of the time.