I quite like the brown ! Its very restful on the eyes after doom scrolling loads of white on many other websites. This website is a corner of the web that barricades itself off and whilst we have a lot of toxic people turn up they dont make it past the 5 post moderation phase. So appologies for having that but its what keeps us all sane here. Why fantasy mappers are more polite than everyone else I cannot answer. It could be that the site is predominantly involved with creating your own art instead of posting up memes and tiktok style mashups based on other peoples art. You actually get to chat with the people who made that nice thing your looking at. Therefore your art does the talking and we have a sort of genuine meritocracy here instead of loudest and most extreme voice heard. And art is a universal language and we have lots of countries participating and many language speakers with varied views on the world.

I am not sure I agree with the jokes aimed at other users. That would be moderated quite quickly and I can only think of one instance where someone had to be put on the naughty step and that was a good few years back. And we have only ever banned about 2 or 3 people who were not obvious spammers and they got plenty of warning. So if everyone just stays clear of topics that are political or inflamatory and willfully insult other users or their art then it stays a nice easy comfy place to hang out. Somehow we seem to sit inbetween being too small to be lost and too large to attract all the issues of the modern web.