Thread: My Version of the DCC Purple Planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map My Version of the DCC Purple Planet

Hi, this is the first time I've shared a map here. There is an adventure pack called Peril on the Purple Planet published by Goodman Games for Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC). The overland map of the plateau is hand-drawn in black and white, and I believe drawn by Doug Kovacs.

However it's not suitable for showing to players since it has keyed locations marked on it. Also I preferred something in color. I acquired a cartography program called Hexkit by Cecil Howe, along with two additional packs of his tiles, through Bundle of Holding, so I decided to finally do something with it. The license allows for non-commercial sharing of works created with it.

I guessed approximately how many six-mile hexes I would need to lay out this plateau. I used a combination of hexes from the Fantasyland and Dangerous Scenery tile sets. I followed one of Howe's tips posted to Youtube explaining that you could take transparent icons and lay them over solid color backgrounds, so I could make purple mountains and hills, and pink dunes, to match the overall "Purple Planet" theme. I also made the snowy mountains rougher by adding an additional icon on top. Unfortunately there were no transparent mushroom forest icons, so I was stuck using the supplied orange tiles for those.

Anyway, it took a lot of hours getting used to the interface, but I think that what I produced looks pretty good. I think it has a bit of a stained glass feel to it. There were three important locations that I marked with "smoke" tiles. They were on the original map, they are described as having smoke columns above them so they'd be seen that way from a distant, and there are detailed rules for how far an adventuring party can see depending on height and terrain. I plan to use a "fog of war" effect to reveal the map to may players a bit at a time (this mechanism is also available through Hexkit), so the first they'll see is the smoke.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purple Planet Overland Players.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	8.39 MB 
ID:	133420
    And here it is. I wanted to post something here because I've enjoyed seeing all of everyone else's posts. Thanks for having me.