Thread: How to Earn Passive Income with Cartography?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CartographyAssets or the Roll20 marketplace or Patreon or small Kickstarters for things you were already going to make are probably the way to go. I recommend not assuming you can just know what RPG people need without getting into the hobby though, while yes it is how to get passive income your things won't sell well if you don't actually understand what RPG DMs need for their games. Don't just casually play a few games. Run a game and then make things based on what you thought and felt you needed. It's the best way to actually make a viable passive income product. Most of my stuff I made because I wanted it first and figured it would sell second.

If you look at my signature you'll see my links, and I will say, I make $300-$600 a month passively now between Roll20 and Cartography Assets alone. Well, this month might even hit $700 with the Roll20 marketplace anniversary sale packs, that's really boosted my income there, about 30% higher than typical. You don't need a ton of things, just things that will periodically sell. But, you might do better selling those pngs and brush sets, since you're focused on novel-style mapping, and sure, those kind of things sell too. Artstation marketplace is one place you can sell them, Designcuts is another.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

Thanks! I will need to look at Roll20 and Cartography Assets. ArtStation and Designcuts are good suggestions too!

I've DMed a few campaigns, but I never used much in the way of maps. I tended to just use automatic generators for the dungeons and rough sketches for my own reference. Most of my RPG experience was just with friends or with the RPG club at my college. We never used figures, battle maps, or the like. I know there's a lot of other ways of doing it that I haven't seen, and I certainly don't assume I know what the RPG community needs or wants!

Since my audience is basically all authors, I don't know that I could do much with a Patreon or what I'd do a Kickstarter for. The authors I work with mostly need custom work, and premade maps aren't as big a thing there. Which might mean I need to find a new audience to target.